Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Fuji or Panasonic
Fuji Finepix S100fs 3 75.00%
Panasonic DMC-FZ-50 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 19, 2008, 3:53 AM   #1

I've got both sitting at home & one has to go back. I bought both at approx. the same price, so that's not an issue. I'm a long time photographer & have done it professionally, owned lots of cameras & currently own 1 Nikon film camera (and lenses), a bunch of Oly (E-10, E-300 + 4 lenses), and lots more little digital things (mostly Nikon & Oly). I'm tired of lugging around all my lenses, and I'm too old to do that anymore unless I have too. I'd like a long (ultra?) zoom all-in-one solution and these two seem to be the best choices. BUT: each has drawbacks. The Panasonic is an older technology, smaller & less capable sensor but is a very well liked camera. The Fuji is more up-to-date, state-of-the-art, with a bigger sensor, more dynamic range, better hi ISO performance, less noise. BUT: has an issue with CA & purple fringing in certain high contrast shots.

I change my mind every day (literally). What would you do?

I have no interest in the new Panasonic G1, btw.
mfurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:06 AM   #2

I would keep the Fuji and use software to remove the chromatic aberration. I like the Fuji's wide angle settings and superior low light performance.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:14 AM   #3

Thanks! I'm leaning that way (today). I'm thinking that the CA, when its there, is fixable, then again . . .:?
Old Sep 19, 2008, 11:14 AM   #4

mfurst-

I surely do agree completely with Robbo. Keep the Fuji, it has more features and you will be able to use them. Good Luck.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 2:05 PM   #5
Administrator

mfurst wrote:
Quote:
I'm tired of lugging around all my lenses, and I'm too old to do that anymore unless I have too.
You could go to an "all in one" lens for a dSLR. For example, a Tamron 18-250mm lens on a camera with an APS-C size sensor would give you roughly the same angle of view you'd have using a 27-375mm lens on a 35mm camera.

Size and weight with an entry level dSLR should be similar to a model like the Fuji S100fs (which is a bit large for a non-dSLR camera model).

If you don't care about something starting out that wide, you could also go with something like a Zuiko 18-180mm for your existing Olympus models (giving you the same angle of view you'd have using a 36-360mm lens on a 35mm camera).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 7:03 PM   #6

JimC-

I am going to be a contrarian here. I get the impression that the OP is looking for a fixed, or single lens solution in this case. So I don't sincerely belie ve that the A-200 with a Sony 18-250 lens is the answer that the OP is looking for in this thread.

Yes, I will certainly agree that the Fuji answer in this case, is large, cumbersome,and very weighty. So doesn't that make the Panasonic FZ-50 (or even the FZ-28) a better answer, if weight and bulk are a problem for the OP? The FZ-50 and the FZ-28 are much less costly solutions for the OP, and the FZ-50 and the FZ-28 are very capable of great photos, at a far lesser cost.

In fact, here is an FZ-50 sample photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 19, 2008, 7:05 PM   #7

JimC-

And here is that same photo set-up taken with the Panasonic FZ-28 camera. Why purchase a DSLR camera when a much better solution is close at hand and costs a whole lot less.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 19, 2008, 8:09 PM   #8

You guys are both mirroring my thinking. I thought about the Zuiko 18-150. Seems like a nice lens. But, then again, my E-300 (which I actually like) doesn't have Image Stabilization and I don't want to lug around a tripod or monopod, either. And I'm not about to go off & buy another body (yet). Besides, if I buy another body & a wide/tele zoom, I'm getting up in the expense area and I'd look at it differently (if it can't pay for itself, professionally, it doesn't come into my arsenal). And, since I no longer do any freelance work, at this point its a no-no. Given my investment in Zuiko lenses & other Oly dSLR equipment, I'd maybe look at an E-3 or E-520 (or more likely, their next generation succesors) if I were going the dSLR direction, but I'm trying to move away from that. And photography is a hobby now. BTW: I've been vacillating on systems v. one-camera solutions like this my whole life (I started when I was about 8 y.o. and am now 60), so this is not a new neurosis!

Cost between the 2 (Fuji v. Panasonic) isn't really an issue. I'm actually looking at the Leica V-lux 1 which, with the current rebate, is within $50 of the Fuji. But with the Leica/Panny I'd end up looking at a wide teleconverter (I know myself too well).

There's no doubt that the Panny takes great photos for a bridge camera. Most likely, the Fuji is better (both cameras are sitting at home & arrived while I've been away, so no hands-on yet), but if the CA is REALLY REALLY bad, it becomes a big issue. If its easy to fix (I've never had to do this before, so don't know) and is only occasionally present, I don't care. I tend to shoot loads of photos and pull out a handful of "best shots". I post-process those & print at (usually) A4. Occasionally I'll do a much bigger print and sometimes smaller.

Most of the year I live in Asia - quite dusty conditions, sometimes high altitude, etc. So fixed lens is not a bad thing for me (I still have an Oly E-10 gathering dust that I can use as a boat anchor now!). I used an Oly OM-1 & OM-2 for a long time because they were indestructible & am partial to Oly, but am not impressed with their ultra-zooms. I don't need longest zoom range in the world with the most megapixels in the worl, with the lightest weight in the world, with . . . Well, you get the picture. Too many compromises added together.

If I really don't want to carry much at all, I've got a little 35-200 zoom digicam I can stick in a pocket, but the image quality and flexibility/versatility is lacking.

Thanks for your input. Lots of food for thought -- and that helps me see things more clearly.

Now, about that CA/PF . . . and tonite I'll finally have a chance to get hands-on with these two, which will help alot!
Old Sep 19, 2008, 8:27 PM   #9

mfurst-

After shooting with my Panasonic FZ-50 today, I must say that the FZ-50 may indeed be the low cost answer in your case. It is a great camera and it is the most cost effective solution. So mark me down for the Panasonic FZ-50! There are thousands of FZ-50 photos out there that will litterally take your breath away.

Sarah Joyce.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 8:57 PM   #10

Hi mfurst,

I just purchase my Fuji S100 last month, so far I love this camera
If you want to see same sample and comparison you can check at:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...=16&page=1

I don't have Panasonic FZ50 to compare though, but I do own Panasonic FZ7, not a bad camera, as long you don't use ISO 400 and above.

But for S100, ISO 800 still acceptable.
Mysuggestion if u purchase S100, get some spare battery.
Just my 2cents
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote