Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 20, 2008, 3:49 PM   #11

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Boldstar found the focusing problems over on on http://www.dpreview.com, I am not quite sure why you have not found them??

Sarah Joyce
To my knowledge I did not read or post anything related to XSi focus problems. I've heard that it's a chore to focus in the live-view mode, but other than that I would have no idea.

In fact, if there are real focus problems with the XSi, I'd like to be in the know. I was planning to buy an XSi next week.
Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 7:56 PM   #12

Boldstar-

Yes, there are indeed problems with the Canon XSi auto focus system. However, it does not seem to affect all Canon XSi cameras. It seems to be hit and miss.

As a digital camera instructor, I felt that I ought to mention that unfortunate fact.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 10:37 PM   #13

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Yes, there are indeed problems with the Canon XSi auto focus system. However, it does not seem to affect all Canon XSi cameras. It seems to be hit and miss.

As a digital camera instructor, I felt that I ought to mention that unfortunate fact.
Well, that kinda blows! Hit and miss? So I could buy a camera and it may or may not screw up afterward. I can imagine the ordeal I'd go through trying to explain this at the store and get it exchanged. Forget about having Canon fix the problem... my father went through a huge nightmare with Canon a few years ago trying to get his SLR fixed.

Always with the dilemmas!
Old Sep 20, 2008, 10:43 PM   #14

Boldstar-

I am very sorry to say that is indeed the case that you face. That is why I am looking at the Nikon D-80 Body ($(US) 539.00) and the D-90 kit as my best alternative. It is no fun at all to attempt to engage in combat/resolution with a major camera company's customer service/service department in a somewhat futile attempt to get a camera that we purchased with great expectations to be an OK camera, whenit is really not an OK camera at all.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 20, 2008, 11:11 PM   #15

dlpin wrote:
Quote:
From what I've seen on the dpreview forums, there are a lot of people complaining about auto focus, but it seems its a problem some xsi have, not all.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...p;changemode=1

The problem with these DP threads is the jargon. The testing methods they speak of are full of initializations and tech-talk that require a translator for the average Joe.
  1. "Focus test chart?"[/*]
  2. "Front/back focus?"[/*]
  3. "Line up the batteries?" What does that have to do with anything?
[/*]
Maybe I'm a simpleton, but that conversation might as well be in Chinese.

Old Sep 20, 2008, 11:30 PM   #16

But none the less, Boldstar-

Won't you admit that the Canon XSi does indeed have some auto focusing problems? That is the issuethat I wanted folks to be aware of quite precisely. Or would you prefer that I hide the auto focusing issue?

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 20, 2008, 11:34 PM   #17

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
But none the less, Boldstar-

Won't you admit that the Canon XSi does indeed have some auto focusing problems? That is the issuethat I wanted folks to be aware of quite precisely.
It definitely sounds like some users feel there is a focus problem. But it also sounds as thoughthe problem issporadic... meaning that it does not seem to be an issue for the majority of users.

Confusing stuff. Looking for an entry-level DSLR, trying to choose within a price range... I feel like I'm choosing between the XSi that may - but likely won't -have focus problems, andthe D80 whichfeels like a great camera, but the controls are less user-friendly and the model is 2 years old.

My wife is ready to kill me! She thinks I've got OCD with all this camera research. She cringes every time I start talking about it. At least I have Steve's!
Old Sep 20, 2008, 11:49 PM   #18

Well, Boldstar-

The choice is entirely up to you! I have made every reasonableattempt to give you the information that you need. What more do you expect me to do? I have no responsibility to give you more info. I am a bit tired of you dumping on my posts and my opinions. I have only been a professional digiatal camera instructor for both the Universities of California and Oregon and taught on Cruise ships around the world for over 12 years. But what do youcare?

Perhapsthe Panasomic FZ-28 might offer an anotherviable camera alternative choice for you, that you might find more acceptble and useable.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 21, 2008, 7:55 AM   #19
Super Moderator

The fact that the ONLY place one can find these alleged problems with the XSi focus system is on dpreview should be more than sufficient to help you decide whether the source is worth giving any credence to.

The internet is overflowing with opinions, everyone gets to give one, and it is up to the reader to decide whether an individual opinion is worth listening to.

For almost any camera or lens there are a few that make it onto the shelves and are faulty. For each faulty camera there are 100 users that don't know how to use their equipment and will blame their camera. So when you read posts complaining about problems you need to try to separate out whether you think the poster is credible or not.

Even amongst credible posters there are different expectations. An AF system that succeeds 90% of the time in situation X may be regarded as excellent by one person but inadequate by another. You need to try to find out exactly what the poster's expectations are.

Finally even credible posters don't have any kind of overall picture. Human beings cannot intuitively separate out random events (like getting a duff camera) from the overall picture. Only proper statistics can help, but we don't have access to those.

So what can you do? Well IMO the only sensible thing to do is to ignore complaining threads. Assume that the manufacturer is mostly producing cameras within tolerance. Go try the things out. Rent for a weekend if you are very averse to getting the wrong camera. Make sure the store you buy from has a returns policy that you can live with. Pay extra to choose a store with a better returns policy if you have to.

Then when you have finally got your camera, stop reading the forums for a while until you have learned how to use it. Assume any poor photos are YOUR fault unless you are 100% sure they are not, because the odds are that your camera will be fine.

And finally realise that with a DSLR you are only buying the potential for better pictures, in order to realise that potential you must work hard at learning about photography, because with the potential to take better pictures also comes the potential to take worse, and if your skills aren't up to it, chances are you pictures will get worse before they get better.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 12:21 PM   #20

peripatetic-

That is a great post. You have covered all of the factors involved very well, including the more subjective factors in succeeding with any particular camera. Vaer nicely done.

Sarah Joyce