Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 19, 2008, 6:55 PM   #1

Ok I'm going to buy my first dslr. I've been reading like mad and it came down to two cameras: The Canon Rebel xsi (450d) and the nikon D80.

I finally decided to go with the canon because:

*It came out this spring where the D80 is two years old.
*It uses the cmos sensor compared to the Nikon's CCD sensor

*12mp compared to 10 (not that big of a deal).

*live view

*sensor cleaning

Okay so I had my mind made up and BAM Nikon releases the D90this month. It seems to be getting great reviews but not that many people have it yet. It has the bonus of being the first dslr with video...but I have heard some complaints about the sound and capabilities of this feature.

Prices:

Canon xsi:699 for the kit

Nikon d80: 799 for the kit

nikon D90: 1299 for the kit

Not sure which way to go. Do you think the new Nikon is worth such a big price difference. I've read the whole Canon vs Nikon Debate and see they both have loyal fans and I believe both are equally good. But once I pick one, due to buying lenses I want to stick with it.

I live in Costa Rica and we use the camera to have photos to go along with some travel writing that I do, plus I would like to try to sell some of the great shots that are available to me living in this beautiful country (as a hobby not to make a living). Any help would be great. I'm going back to the States in a few weeks and will make my purchase. Many Thanks.

Bryan
bryanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2008, 7:53 PM   #2

Bryan-

There would be no doubt in my mind at all. After reading the recent very positive reviews on the D-90, I would opt for the new and well featured Nikon D-90 DSLR camera. It is a great package.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 7:56 PM   #3

The XSi is still a good choice, and for $600 you can get a nice camcorder.

Edit: Sarah, I didn't see your post until after I posted mine. Honest!
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 8:13 PM   #4

Well, TCav-

Take a look at the professional review of Nikon D-90 that Jeff Keller did over at www.dcresource.com. After I read that review, I was convinced, the Nikon D-90 was the camera to go with in this case.

If you have been following the junior Canon DSLR thread over at the Canon DSLR Forum at www.dpreview.com you can easily see that there has been a ton of users complaining loudly and clearly about the Canon XSi's poor focusing capabilities.

Personally, I don't want to buy into problems. The Canon XSi has focusing problems, the Nikon D-90 has a sterling review, so can't you guess where I am going to go? It the Nikon D-90, folks. Just read the review, please.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 19, 2008, 9:22 PM   #5

Just a thought, Bryan-

The Nikon D-80 body is down (here in the USA)to $(US) 539.00 which makes it a really great buy. You could afford to buy the D-80 body and then add whatever lens you desired, and save a bundle.

Just a thought, but it might make sense.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:13 PM   #6

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Well, TCav-

Take a look at the professional review of Nikon D-90 that Jeff Keller did over at http://www.dcresource.com. After I read that review, I was convinced, the Nikon D-90 was the camera to go with in this case.

If you have been following the junior Canon DSLR thread over at the Canon DSLR Forum at http://www.dpreview.com you can easily see that there has been a ton of users complaining loudly and clearly about the Canon XSi's poor focusing capabilities.
I know how good the D90 is. I was unaware ofany focus problems with the XSi. I couldn't find any posts on dpreview that mention what you describe. I'd be pleased if you could provide a link to a topic where it is discussed.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:36 PM   #7

TCav, my friend-

On Monday 09/22, we once again leave on a 2 month long contract, so you will not have to put up with me much longer. Boldstar found the focusing problems over on on www.dpreview.com, I am not quite sure why you have not found them??

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 20, 2008, 4:09 AM   #8

From what I've seen on the dpreview forums, there are a lot of people complaining about auto focus, but it seems its a problem some xsi have, not all. And it is something that seems to happen more often with 3rd party lens. In other words, it seems that its not a problem inherent to the camera, but that there is a risk that a xsi will have that problem, but it seems to be something that canon will try to make right (i.e. it seems that its not a short coming of the camera itself, just a technical defect that is not uncommon)

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...p;changemode=1

dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 6:13 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Why suddenly are people pointing to dpreview? And giving it credence?

People come here because they find dpreview to be shallow, inaccurate, nasty and basically pointless if you're looking for help or a reasonable discussion rather than a flame war.

Besides that, pointing to other forums from this one is basically rude to our host unless the other forum covers something that these forums don't.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 10:17 AM   #10

That is a point well made, peripatetic-

And I agree with you. So I apologize to all concerned. However, it was the only site that could document the XSi auto focus problem. Thanks for the good "heads up" advice.

Sarah Joyce