Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 20, 2008, 6:12 PM   #1

Looking to get my wife a new camera. Needs to be simple user interface, quick response time between pictures, and have a decent zoom. Looking for suggestions thanks.
scabbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2008, 6:47 PM   #2

scabbard-

You might want to take a good look at either the Sony W-150 or W-170, and yes, they do have an optical viewfinder.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 7:29 PM   #3

Had been looking at the Canon SD870 IS. However, my knowledge and experience on camera's is limited. I appreciate the quick feedback. I will look at these 2 cameras.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 7:42 PM   #4

scabbard-

Please don't get me wrong the Canon SD-series cameras have always been quite strong. However, they also have their limitations. The bottom line analysis is this: you have to go with the camera that is most comfortable for you.

If you feel that it is measurably uncomfortable to move to the Sony line of cameras, then you will always be more comfortable with a Canon Camera. That is OK!

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 20, 2008, 11:18 PM   #5

I like the cameras that Sarah noted very much. Really tempted to get a Sony W150 for myself. But, you did mention ease of use, and I would say the Olympus Stylus seriesand Panasonic FS-serieshave a small edge in that regard. But don't match the performance of Canon, Sony vs Panasonicimagequalityis somewhatdebatable (eye of the beholder and all that smoke). Showyour wifethe variouscameras and see which she is most comfortable with.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 12:43 PM   #6

KCook wrote:
Quote:
Showyour wifethe variouscameras and see which she is most comfortable with.
I've seen several posts on various forums asking for advice on which camera to purchase for their wife. The most important factor appears in many to have your wife try the cameras. Some wives are immediately turned off by the camera's appearance more than it's performance. In the end, it will be her personal preferences that matter, more than what we have to say on these forums, IMHO.

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 1:11 PM   #7

Hooray for, Dennis-

You are so correct! We females are motivated by a multidude of very subtle clues that play into the decision making process in a big way. Thus, the camera that you perceive as perfect for you, might not be the perfect fit for your wife or girl friend.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 21, 2008, 2:40 PM   #8

Well there is no way I can speak for all men!:G But I am just about as guilty of having my choices swayed by appearance as the gals. With so many attractive cameras to choose from, it's nutz to pay good $$ for one that is fuge ugly. A lesson that Canon and Olympuslearned long ago. And Kodak,Panasonic, andSamsung still need to work on.

chic Kelly
Old Sep 21, 2008, 5:04 PM   #9

Thanks for the overwhelming help. I took her today to look at some cameras. She was mainly concerned about the ease of use. I however am more concerned about picture quality, zoom, and response time. Again, thanks for the help. Best forum I have been a part of.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 6:59 PM   #10

Picture quality will be decent with all of these. Zoom and shutter lag performance however, will vary. Not just from brand to brand, but also from model to model within the same brand. So if you want that nailed down you will need to tell us exactly which models you are considering.

Kelly