Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 20, 2008, 9:24 PM   #1

Well since it doesn't look like Panasonic is going to come out with the successor to the 50 anytime soon, I guess it's down to either the FZ18 or FZ28. Can someone explain to me the main differences between the two? Also, which one is better. Judging by some of the sample images I have seen - the FZ18 actually looks better - can this be possible?
mgrogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2008, 10:11 PM   #2

mgrogan-

As you might expect there are indeed varying opinions on the Panasonic FZ-18 and the FZ-28 and their own individual IQ. However, let's take a good look at how the FZ-28 is substantially different from the FZ-18.

The FZ-28 differs by having a substantially more powerful built-in flash and utilizing the Venus 4 processor instead of the Venus 3 processor. Is that enough to differentiate it from the FZ-18? Actually it is!

Let's take a look first at the FZ-18 images, and they are indeed rather good, shall we?

Now let's compare that FZ-18 image to a FZ-28 image:

When you look at these two images, it is not very difficult to determine which is the better of the two images.

I will let you to personally determine the difference between the FZ-18 and the FZ-28 images. Choose the image that you truly feel is the best, please.

Now, I will leave the determination as to whether the Panasonic FZ-18 is better than the FZ-28, its successor, entirely up to you.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 10:44 PM   #3

Hi Sarah!

Thank you very much for the response! I was not aware that the FZ28 had a more powerful built in flash. That definitely is an advantage in my opinion. As for as choosing the better image - I actually think both images are excellent. It would probably be easier to choose if they were the same shot. However, if I go to http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=1 and do a side by side comparison, the FZ18 does have the edge on a few shots - such as in low light. Do you own both cameras? DO you feel that the FZ28 takes a better picture?

Thanks!
Mark
Old Sep 20, 2008, 10:57 PM   #4

Mark-

You had best check your link as it is not valid at all! In fact, it in error!

I personally happen to think, as a professioanl digital camera instructor, that the Panasonic FZ-28 IQ is a good deal better than the IQ that is provided by the Panasobnic FZ-18 camera.

However, I will leave that up entirely up to you personally.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 20, 2008, 11:06 PM   #5

Hi Sarah,

I just clicked on the link in my post above and it brought me right to the page. I'm not sure why it is not working for you. I do trust your opinion as it sounds like you are quite familiar with both. I have not tried either one as of yet since they don't sell them in any stores around here so I don't have much of an opinion yet. Currently I own the FZ5 and the TZ3 and am looking to upgrade.

Thanks!
Mark
Old Sep 20, 2008, 11:38 PM   #6

Well, Mark-

I am only a professional digital camera instructor who has been teaching for 12 years, for both the Universities of California and Oregon, and on Cruise Ships throughout the world, but I sincerely think that you would be much better served by purchasing the Panasonic FZ-28 rather than the Panasonic FZ-18.

However, the decision is entirely up to you, Mark!

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 21, 2008, 12:12 AM   #7

Thanks for the advice! I will most likely get the FZ28. So cruise ships, huh? That sounds like a pretty nice gig!!
Old Sep 21, 2008, 12:26 PM   #8

Hi Mark-

Yes, lecturing/instructing on cruise ships is an excellent retirement gig. The hook is this, you have to have the creditentials (advanced degree, have published, and have instructed at the university level) to sign on.

Sarah Joyce