Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 22, 2008, 8:50 PM   #1

The fz-5 was my first "somewhat more" than point and shoot camera. I've been using it for the past couple of years with great success; I'm still amazed at how clear and sharp the pics are right out of the camera...

A few months ago I picked up a TZ-5 to add to my panny line... I wanted something to just throw in a pocket when I'm out and about....again, very satisfied...

Now I'm thinking about the opposite end of the spectrum. I'm still happy with the pics from the fz5, but the camera is getting older (tech wise).

What would be the next logical step for me? I don't mind going up to a dSLR; the entry level models are very tempting right now... I also don't mind going with a better ultra-zoom like the fz-28.

What does everyone think?
Sniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2008, 9:00 PM   #2

How about the FZ28? From what I hear it's physical appearance is similar the FZ5 but it is much more advanced tech-wise.
mgrogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2008, 5:57 PM   #3

I certainly agree with Mark-

The Panasonic FZ-28 is an excellent choice for an upgrade from the FZ-5. Here is a photo sample from the FZ-28.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2008, 6:10 PM   #4

My biggest complaint of the fz5 was always the low light performance. The noise just didn't agree with me..... has panasonic made any improvements in this department with the fz28 and the new processor?

The only thing I think I would be missing with the fz28 is a hot shoe....the indoor/holiday/kid shots really suffer with a built-in flash...
Sniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2008, 7:30 PM   #5

yeah, it looks like I am in the same boat you are. I had the FZ5 and then I upgraded to the TZ3. Now I am looking to upgrade again. Those Panasonic cameras both took exceptional pictures in strong, natural light, but suffered in low light as do most digital cameras aside from a few Fuji's.

So I guess the next thing is to decide whether you are going to upgrade to DSLR, get one of those older fuji models that shoots decent in low light, or lastly - get a camera with a hotshoe + addon flash.

For me personally, I don't want a DSLR. I don't want one of those older Fujis, and the superzoom models with the hotshoes aren't exactly what I'm looking for. I guess I'm going to have to make a concession somewhere :

Still leaing towards the FZ28. Let me know what you end up deciding. Maybe others on this board can shed some light (no pun intended) on current models and low light performance.
mgrogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2008, 8:15 PM   #6

Sniff-

I am still new to the FZ-28, having had it for just 8 days. However, the FZ-28 has definitely improved a whole lot thanks to the Venus 4 processor. Now ISO 800 is very usable, the flash has more power, and yes, I too would like a hotshoe too, but is not available.

So I am going to try using a powerful slave flash to increase my flash range and light coverage. Here is a photo taken with just the FZ-28's built-in flash. You can easily see that it putout MORE light.

I sincerely believe, based on my short experience, that the FZ-28 will be up to any job you propose for it.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote