Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 23, 2008, 1:56 PM   #1

Hi, I`m seriously thinking about purchasing a new digital camera and am totally confused as to the best one to get. I have about £150 to spend. I have a Kodak which is now eight years old and has proved to be extremely reliable, but it is rather heavy and cumbersome. I bought a new cheaper digital camera but it did not have a viewfinder and in bright sunlight it was just a matter of guess work when i came to lining up shots.

Can anyone please advise me what I should look for and is a viewfinder (as opposed to screen) the same as "optical viewfinder". If anyone can recommend a decent camera plus the best site to purchase from it would be very much appreciated.

Merangue
merangue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2008, 2:35 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome.

I've moved your post down to the What Camera Should I Buy? Forum, which is the forum setup for your type of questions.

A good place to start your search would be Steve's Best Cameras List , which contains models deemed to be a good value within their market niche.

Quote:
...and is a viewfinder (as opposed to screen) the same as "optical viewfinder"
You'd have to look at each model on a case by case basis. Some models may have an optical viewfinder, and some models may have an electronic viewfinder (which is usually necessary on a non-dSLR model with a longer optical zoom). You'll usually see comments on each model's viewfinder usability in it's review conclusion section here (the conclusion is the last page before the sample images in each review).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2008, 4:22 PM   #3

There are two very different types of viewfinders, optical and electronic (EVF). The EVF being the case where you look through an eyepiece at a tiny version of the LCD screen. As on any video camcorder. Some EVFs work well in daylight, some are no better than the LCD. As Jim noted, LCD screens also work with different levels of success in daylight. The one on my Fuji F45fd can be seen in daylight and I'm in the blazing desert!

At £150 pocket cameras with viewfinders will be limited to a few by Canon, the Nikon P60 (EVF), and Sony W-series. My personal pick of these would be the Sony W150, but take that with a grain of salt, those others are also quite good. Here is a link to another discussion on viewfinders -

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo....php?id=573615

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2008, 7:48 PM   #4

Hi Kelly

Thank you so much for your help. I decided to go for the Nikon P60 and found it bundled with a 4gb sd card, camera bag, cleaning kit and card reader for £109.00 inc p&p. Thought this sounded like a good deal.

I will come back to you when I have received it and used it - hopefully I will get it in time for my daughter`s graduation ceremony this coming w/end.

Merangue
merangue is offline   Reply With Quote