Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 24, 2008, 11:50 AM   #1

I will be traveling to Europe next year. At this time I have an Pentax ist D L with the standard 18mm- 55mm lens and a Pentax 80mm - 320mm lens. Personally I think this camera is too big to pack all over Europe, but I still want a camera that will give me as good of performance as the Pentax.

I would like to get something I can generally carry in a fanny pack or the like. I have looked at so many cameras at this time I am confused. I would like a camera that takes good photos in doors without use of the flash. Also has a resonable zoom so I can get those up close photos. All photos will be edited later at home.

My wife has a Canon 1100si, which takes good photos, but need something with better lens. Can anyone help out there.
dragster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2008, 1:31 PM   #2

dragster-

Yes, I agree, the size and bulk of a DSLR system can be large. I have found the Panasonic TZ-5 to be a perfect travel camera, it is small in size while still offering 28 to 280mm (in 35mm terms) of very usful zoom.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2008, 1:31 PM   #3

dragster-

Yes, I agree, the size and bulk of a DSLR system can be large. I have found the Panasonic TZ-5 to be a perfect travel camera, it is small in size while still offering 28 to 280mm (in 35mm terms) of very usful zoom.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2008, 4:00 PM   #4

If you don't require extra wide angle, the new Canon SX110 is very nice. With manual control plus AV and TV modes. No reviews yet, so don't know if its IQ is much of a jump over the SD1100.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2008, 5:05 PM   #5

Thank you these are all good ideas. I will look at both cameras. Hope to find something while in carribean.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 12:09 AM   #6

dragster13 wrote:
Quote:
I will be traveling to Europe next year. At this time I have an Pentax ist D L with the standard 18mm- 55mm lens and a Pentax 80mm - 320mm lens. Personally I think this camera is too big to pack all over Europe, but I still want a camera that will give me as good of performance as the Pentax.

I would like to get something I can generally carry in a fanny pack or the like. I have looked at so many cameras at this time I am confused. I would like a camera that takes good photos in doors without use of the flash. Also has a resonable zoom so I can get those up close photos. All photos will be edited later at home.

My wife has a Canon 1100si, which takes good photos, but need something with better lens. Can anyone help out there.
I love the Panasonic TZ5 for many of the shots you'd find youself shooting in Europe. Having been to Paris twice the last couple of years, the streets are fairly narrow and you often find yourself in museums and/or darker churches/cathedrals where you need botha faster lens and good wide angle for the massive structures. My two trips to Europe, wide angle shots way outnumbered files I recorded with a telephoto lens.

Enter the Panasonic LX3 with it's 24mm f2 lens. The zoom is not long at all at 24-60mm, but it's fast at f2-2.8. This is mainly a wide angle camera, which you can make even wider by including the accessory wide angle lens that converts the 24mm to an 18mm f2 lens, whichwould bea wonderful option on a trip like you are going on.

Take a look at these images taken with the LX3, shot with and without the 18mm accessory lens. These look as good as any I've seen any recent compact shoot, combined with the amazingly wide angle view..

http://norpheus.smugmug.com/gallery/...80251171_6TheP

You want a camerathat'll fit inthe fanny pack, but want the ability to shoot indoors without flash, and also want a decent zoom range to get close and performance as good as a DSLR. What do you really think your chances are of finding something that offers all that? Sounds like you need one camera that, unfortunately,does not exist. Otherwise, we'd all have it and you'd not need your Pentax.Short of a DSLR and high quality lens set, if you want to cover all the bases with small compacts, you are going to need two that combined can do MOST of what you want.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 1:47 AM   #7

Hi, I have a Pentax K100D and at times I find it a bit bulky too. So I understand what you mean. The question is, do you want to stay with a SLR (essentially with interchangeable lenses or fixed lenses)?

Staying with interchangeable lenses - Pentax does have some of the smaller bodies, however you can go to a 4/3 system by Olympus and get a bit smaller and lighter. If your somewhat daring, Panasonic has come up with a micro 4/3 lens mount system that produces a substantially smaller lens and body combination. Either way, you would be switching lens mounts - thus camera systems. Here are some information and pictures of the new Panasonic G1 - and no it not currently available - you have to wait till November, I believe.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/pa...008_g1_pr.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/audiobl...7607245255351/

There will only be 2 lenses to start out, and a third "all in one" very shortly. Its somewhat of a risk, as it is not out yet. The Oly E series is also smaller, with lenses smaller than the Pentax K mount, but larger than the new micro 4:3.

All of this may be moot, based on your time frame.

I think that is the best I can add, everyone else has the other camera options covered.

Good Luck, I will be reading the responses, since I am interested in how all of this turns out.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:21 AM   #8

Thanks for the replys you open so many opions for me to look at. First off I am not going to ditch my Pentax as I have always liked the Pentax. Greg love the photos you took in the Cathedral. They are great. Question which one was it? I have to agree with you on maybe I don't need a long range telephoto for most of my shots. What I need most of all is a camera that I can get good in door shots without using a flash yet still get good outside shots.

I have looked at both the TZ5 and the SX110. I am kind of leaning to the SX110, but need to put each in my hands to get a feel of them. The problem with trying to get a camera as soon as you see the one that suits your needs they bring another model out that is even better.

Found that out the hard way when I bought my MZ6 6 months before they brought out the first digital SLR. As the saying goes Stuff happens!
Old Sep 26, 2008, 11:06 AM   #9

dragster13 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the replys you open so many opions for me to look at. First off I am not going to ditch my Pentax as I have always liked the Pentax. Greg love the photos you took in the Cathedral. They are great. Question which one was it? I have to agree with you on maybe I don't need a long range telephoto for most of my shots. What I need most of all is a camera that I can get good in door shots without using a flash yet still get good outside shots.
Hi!

I actually didn't take those. They were taken by a fellow Panasonic user who has just picked up the LX3 and the accessory lens that converts the 24mm end to an 18mm f2 super wide angle. You can place your curser over the selected image on the right, which will bring up a box you can click on to see the photo info, including camera and focal length used. Those were all shot with the LX3, some with the 18mm wide angle, some without.

The important part is the maximumaperture....f2. That's what you'll need inside with a compact, which will allow you to keep the ISO setting in the 200-400 range. Anything slower and you'll be looking at ISO's of 800 or even higher to keep the shutter speeds in a range where the camera can still be held by hand, and you don't want to be forced into that situation with any compact.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote