Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 24, 2008, 10:58 PM   #1

Talking with wife and a few local camera stores,we decidedto stay digital (vs digital slr) as we are both novice users and just want toupgrade our camerafor more features and in the end hopefully a better picture.

Ourcurrentcamera is a Nikon L11 and from day ONE I havenot liked it (I had an old power shot i liked more but it finally died) but it fits in wifes purse, is easy for her to use and was priced right,so she uses it99% of the time.

But for me and for in general the times when I want to capture a moment (daughters sporting events, camping trips, disney trips, etc) I wanted something for ME to use with more optical zoom andsomething that hopefully takes better/faster pictures thanher Nikon L11.

Size is not important (I don't need it to be compact and cute) but features like the optical zoom and image stabilization are my biggest wants,I would like to juststick with canon or nikon (less confusion basically).

Altho I am not happy with my Nikon L11 overall i think it was slow to perform vs my old powershot,I do realize you get what you pay for and it is an entry level compact camera perfect for wifes purse. and Iam sure its apples to oranges going from an L11 to a P80 (or soi hope) and there are SO many happy Nikon owners out there I should not dismiss upgrading the L11 to a P80 etc.

Curious what users might have to say good or bad aboutmy ideas andchoices here, i do realize the canon doesnt come out till October so there isn't much about it on the net probably yet review wise, but thats only a few weeks from now so i can wait, just hoping i can FIND it locally to go see in hand too...

The two models I was looking at were the

Nikon Coolpix P80

18x optical zoom

2.7 inch lcd

10.1 megapixels

optical stablizer
&

Canon SX10 IS (not released yet)

20x optical zoom

2.5 inch lcd

10.0 megapixels

optical stablizer
Again main thing im looking for are justquality of picture, large opticalzoom, like to have it be fast response wise for action shots of daughter playing soccer etc.

The novice in me again comes out when i ask what specs would i read to tell how much lag there is from click to shot being taken or about how to tell if the camera can take multiple fast shots of say a soccer game (5-10 shots in a row fast) etc.

My budget is $500 or less and sticking in the Nikon or Canon familyI am guessing these would be my best two closest options after reviewing both of their websites and product info.

Open to suggestions opinions etc,

Bill
ftlosm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2008, 8:17 AM   #2

The Canon SX10 hasn't been reviewed yet but it looks to be very similar to the previous version, the S5IS, with more optical zoom. Comparing the two, the cameras are approximately equal in picture quality but the Canon has quicker performance, a hotshoe (for attaching a separate flash) and a twisting LCD. However the Nikon's one major advantage is that it's a smaller, much lighter camera. The Nikon's dimensions are 110 x 79 x 78 mm (4.3 x 3.1 x 3.1 inches) and 405 grams, while the Canon SX10's dimensions are 128 x 88 x 87 mm (5 x 3.5 x 3.4 inches) and 600 grams.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:54 AM   #3

You might also want to consider the Canon SX-110, as well.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 11:37 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies, I realize the sx10 isnt out yet altho circuit city's website showed its release date as today (I called no sx10s yet tho)...

I guess the choice will be once i can go somewhere and see them both in hand, i do like the hotshoe option on that canon tho...

I am a zoom junkie (really want a long zoom like one of these offers) so my options become limited fast unless i take into consideration other offerings (olympus 570UZ or the lumix model (cant recall number).

I just figured I probably can't go wrong with canon or nikon, not to start a war but is one made better or have better customer service when or if something does go wrong with it?

Bill
Old Oct 6, 2008, 1:03 AM   #5

Besides other features, the Canon SX10 IS has an Ultrasonic motor, which lets you zoom silently while recording video. I don't think P80 has this feature.

For me this is a big plus, as most of the cameras in the market with motor zoom do not support optical zoom while video recording.

Canon has a slightly bigger sensor size (1/2.3 ") as compared to Nikon (1/2.33").

I am not sure about the low light performance of these cameras though, because of their small sensor size.
rohitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2008, 9:34 AM   #6

Thanks for the reply here, hard to wait for the canon, now circuit city bumped the release date from the 3rd to the 13th, who knows for SURE when it will come out tho.

(new baby here so hard to keep waiting) but might be worth it to hold out for another week or two, vs jumping into the Olympus 570uzor Nikon P80...

Bill
Old Oct 6, 2008, 6:40 PM   #7

Hi,

My two cents are:

I've already seen photos posted on the Canon forum (dpreview) from the SX10. You should check them out because they are horrid, filled with noise and CA. Could be a bad camera since it's one of the first out, but maybe not, expecially considering what they are trying to get out of a lens that long with a sensor that small. It just ain't good chemistry. Read all the other comments.

I don't know about you, but in addition to loving a long zoom, I like a good wide-angle too, which to me means at least 28mm. That knocks the Nikon P80 out, and comparing test shots of it to what I'm about to suggest put it clearly (pun intended) out of the running.

I've been studying every camera (non-dslr, I don't want to bother with changing lenses, things happen too fast sometimes) with a long zoom and good wide-angle, for months now, and I want the best picture quality I can get. I can really get into my requirements, but suffice it to say that it's all boiling down to the Panasonic FZ28. From what I've seen, and you should do your own research too by visiting every forum that posts sample pictures, the Panny wins hands down every time. Their new Venus IV processor is much better at reducing noise, making the camera more usable at higher ISO's, ie in lower light; the lens goes from 27mm to 486mm, and it's a Leica, one of the best in the industry with sharp images from corner to corner; and it takes 1280 x 720 movies. These are just highlights. Discover for yourself all the other goodies, and be sure you check out the samples posted all over the Panasonic forum @ dpreview with links to other sites like Flicker, pbase, etc... The only drawbacks I see to it are a non-tilting lcd, and the movie audio is supposed to stink. I found one at my local Ritz camera shop, popped in my memory card and took exact duplicate photos with the 28 and my Canon S3 IS, and took home the card to compare apples and apples, which many of these test sites don't do. Other than the movie mode which I couldn't reproduce off of my Canon at home, it absolutely destroyed my Canon in every way.

I've always been either a Canon or Nikon guy, never would have even considered a Panasonic. Pana-who? Don't they make vacuum cleaners? And their first few cameras had a burnt-looking rust tinge to the color that I couldn't stand. But give credit where credit is due, they seem to be in the drivers seat in this class of camera right now. Take a look. You might like it.

Scrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 7:51 AM   #8

I am planning to buy Canon SX10, Is this a good Camera...? Which one is better, Nikon Coolpix 80, or Canon SX10? I am a Beginner...
yashie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 5:36 PM   #9

My recommendation is to go with either the Sony H-50 or the Panasonic FZ-28. I own both and they are excellent. In low light levels the H-50 hit the focus faster. Here is a sample from the H-50 at ISO 1250, F 3.2 and 1/100th on the shutter.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote