Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 25, 2008, 6:26 AM   #1

Hi. My dad's 80ith birthday is around the corner. He wants a verysimple digital camera--one that has few bells and whistles and is easy to operate. I did tell him that it was hard to get a digital camera that was simple as most have bells and whistles. Because of a stroke, he only can use his left hand. While we don't have to have a left handed camera, being one handed does require larger dials and buttons that he can maneuver. He is computer savy, but feels too old to have to learn new gadgets--dont' blame him, I feel the same at 51. Any suggestions out there?
forest44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2008, 8:29 AM   #2

If your Dad is right handed, the Kodak C813 and Nikon L18 should be easy for him to handle with his right hand, as they are raised on the right side. Also, their controls are very easy to use. They are not great cameras by any means, but better cameras will have more complicated and smaller controls and will be harder to manipulate with one hand.

Edit - Reading your post again I see that your Dad can only use his left hand. If so, he'll have a big problem since digital cameras are made with right-handers in mind as the grip (if there is one) and controls are found on the right side of the camera.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 12:19 PM   #3

I think that the ones that are truely simple are cheap, aimed at the child market, and come in a bubble pack. Hope that does not sound like a put-down, but you will find a better selection of these at a consumer site than a photography site.

At the extreme other end of the spectrum the Sony T-series are really slick, and expensive.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 2:08 PM   #4

Well, the hand is always an issue, but as long as the controls are big enough, he should be able to use it. I'll check it out--I feel sorry for left handers as cameras certaintly are not made for them. Thanks for the tip.

Joan
Old Sep 25, 2008, 2:09 PM   #5

I don't consider it a put down at all. I've been using digitals since they came out and while mine is expensive, I often resort to my child's when I want something fast and easy to use. Thanks. I'll look those over. :-)
Old Sep 25, 2008, 9:18 PM   #6

My mother is a technical idiot(not on normal aspects) and I had her get a Kodak with a docking station. Their menus are put into layman's terms and once you get the docking station set up then transferring photos to the computer is simple.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 10:12 PM   #7

You might want to investigate this hybrid camera;

http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-Xacti-VP...p_ob_p_title_1

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 10:34 PM   #8

Grip is going to be the single biggest design flaw or strength.

Take the classic Canon cameras. The "SD" series, being mostly metal and lackdefined grips which may or may not be good. The "A" series, with the plastic shell and big hand grips, may or may not be good.

Then there is the weight issue of cameras. "A" series uses common AA batteries so the cameras typically weigh more than cameras that use Lithium-Ion rechargeable batteries.

Bottom line this is something you need to consult with Dad.

I would take him to BB/CC and give the camers on display a try. Head over to OfficeDepot and Max and do the same.

I would definitely get a camera with IS (image stabilization), which is standard on a wide selection ofconsumer point & shoot cameras (but not all).

PS: Just tried an old P&S Kodak camera with my left hand and left hand only (I amright handed).Buttonsize is going to an issue as well, but on that particular camerathe buttons were big enough for meto be comfortableduring use even though Iam not left handed. Iingeneral terms I could do every function, within limits, by setting down the camera and using just my left hand, such as changing the shooting mode or reviewing my pictures ...... EXCEPT I could not operate the zoom feature which more skill than I could muster with my left hand.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote