Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 29, 2008, 12:36 AM   #1

I have visited this site in the past and have found it very helpful. I still have my little Oly 3030 and I think its time (lol). Soooo I've decided that if I want the lens for low light I need to upgrade!!! to maybe a Prosumer. Though it would be nice if I could also find a compact that I could be satisfied with. Low light is a real problem.

I'd really like to find a camera that can be a point and shoot if needed, but that can also be an entry level slr (my Oly was nice it did let me control some things). I know that the community college here offers classes in digital photography now and again; and I plan to attend the next one to learn more.

I am trying to do some research on it, but I have a visual impairment, which makes reading for long periods hard (especially over the net).

The Fuji FinePix9100 really caught my eye on the 'BestCameras' page. I love the LCD screne that flips out like that one does (didn't see any other camera's with that feature). It seems to be geared toward the amatuer like me - though could be a bit overwhelming. If I read right, I can have it auto focus, but also manual focus.

It would be nice to have a camera that you can hand to someone to take a picture of you.

I take pictures of my animals (cats/dogs/horses) moving and still: indoors and out

I like to take pictures of the flowers in my mothers garden (want to get better at that)

Family gatherings and that sort of thing.

I just want something better than point and shoot/ but that can be point and shoot if needed?a camera that kinda helps in the settings for shots; cuz I'm learning.

And maybe if there are any good 'simple' books that are recommended? Again its hard for me to read for long but I want to take better pictures.
:? Thanks in advance

Mahgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2008, 6:17 AM   #2

The Fuji S9100 is a very good camera. I have been using it since May 2007. I have not seen it listed at any of the major photo buying sites lately that I browse. Its certainly not a small pocketable camera, but it is a very good camera.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2008, 7:36 AM   #3

Have you considered the Olympus E420?

It's very small for a DSLR, has lots of features (but no optical image stabilization, unfortunately), and excellent picture quality.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2008, 12:46 PM   #4

LOL, so then I started looking at the DSLRs and low and behold, there was the Sony Alpha350 (I do really like that flip out lcd). Its really hard to decide how advanced to go. Where would my ceiling be if I got something like the Fuji S9100 compared to one of the slr's? I mean then I'd be getting into the whole lens thing; and be on the search for agood overall, wide, andtele lens (way out of my comfort zone there).

For an overall point and shoot pocket typeI'm thinking about the Panasonic LX3. It has thenice brightlens and wide angle. Though the price is a bit steep for me. One of those cameras to just keep an eye on and hope it comes up on black friday or something. So hard to find a pocket type digital with the nice bright lens!

OH and for me I think I should get something with image stabalization.
Mahgie is offline   Reply With Quote