Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 4, 2008, 11:37 PM   #11

For very close shots, where you have to use your macro setting, the optical viewfinder is not appropriate. Even for further shots, the viewfinder won't be terribly accurate - its overall accuracy rating is 80%
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2008, 1:07 PM   #12

Okay...I kind of figured it had to do with the fact that the optical viewfinder is not in the exact same line of vision as the lens of the camera. But is there any way to improve the ability to see the LCD viewfinder in bright outdoor conditions? Would it help to have a model of camera that has a viewfinder that can be moved to a different position? Or any other features the camera makers have come up with to make the viewfinder more visible? Or do I just have to learn to live with it? Deborah
caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2008, 1:37 PM   #13

An option you could consider is an LCD hood. Delkin makes a good one. Here's a link to the BHPhotoVideo site for several sizes, depending on the LCD size.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=search&A=search&Q=&sb=bs%2Cuppe r(ds)&sq=asc&sortDrop=Brand%3A+A+to+Z& ac=&bsi=&bhs=t&ci=6247&shs=&at =Brand_Delkin+Devices&basicSubmit=Submit+Query

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2008, 9:37 PM   #14

Hi Dennis,
Looked at the website and looks like that would be the perfect little visor for the camera! Thanks so much for letting me know it existed. And thank you Andy for all your help and patience in answering my questions. Deborah
caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 11:17 PM   #15

caterpillar wrote:
Quote:
I bought the Canon A720.* I have a question about it.* The image in the optical viewfinder is pretty blurry, and ......* thanks, Deborah

Hey there Deborah, since this is your first digital camera, you may not know about the diopter, which adjusts the focus on the viewfinder. It's right next to the viewfinder .... not sure if your particular model has it, but most do, as everyone's vision is different. But the view through the viewfinder should not be blurry at all.
Emjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2008, 6:23 PM   #16

Yes, I have the A-720 and it takes very sharp Macros, as close as 1/2 cm., or 1/4 inch. I made a hood for the LCD with a lens in it for sharper viewing and can be used very well in bright daylight. I do like to use one of the very small pods. When you are so close just a little movement can cause unsharpness. Great camera.

Gene Smith
Gene9 is offline   Reply With Quote