Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 30, 2008, 7:49 PM   #1

Hi, I'd like to find a camera to take highly detailed insect photos, but I'm not ready for a DSLR. I'd like something fairly easy to use, but with manual controls that I could grow into, and hopefully pocketable (though willing to haul around something a little larger if necessary.) Saw an ad for a used Canon G7 for sale, and wondered if that might fill the bill, but am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks, Deborah
caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2008, 10:33 PM   #2

The Canon SX100 IS (or the new version, the SX110 IS) takes wonderful closeups of insects, among other things. Its macro mode can focus down to 1 cm. Here are some sample pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=inse...100_is&z=t
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 11:26 AM   #3

Hi Andy, Thanks for your suggestion...those photos were excellent...you can actually see the facets in the compound eye of the bug on one of them! I'm wondering though if I would miss not having an optical viewfinder...are there other models of camera that would take macros that good, but that also have an optical viewfinder? Deborah
Old Oct 1, 2008, 2:59 PM   #4

The Canon A590IS, SD1100IS and SD770IS are small cameras with viewfinders that can take good closeups of insects, as they can focus as close as 5cm, 3cm and 3cm, respectively. However, they won't get you as close as the SX110IS, at 1 cm.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 4:27 PM   #5

Yes, I would like to be able to get up very close to the bug. What do you think of the Canon A720...I read you can focus as close as 1cm and it has an optical viewfinder. Same for that G7. Also, in general, what lens or other specifications would I be looking for in a camera that does a good job at macros? In other words, how did you choose the specific models you suggested out of all the many many models available? Thanks again for your advice. Deborah
Old Oct 1, 2008, 7:31 PM   #6

I own the A720. It's a very good camera (and takes great macros - up to 1 cm away) but it's hard to find now because Canon replaced it with the A2000, which I think is an inferior camera as it lacks a viewfinder and manual controls.

The G7 is excellent but, of course, it's old and can only be bought used.

My criteria for selecting the cameras were small size, viewfinder and close macro shooting (5 cm or less).
Old Oct 1, 2008, 9:25 PM   #7

thanks for help
digitalcameradc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 3:41 PM   #8

Hi Andy, Thanks for your help. I bought the Canon A720. I have a question about it. The image in the optical viewfinder is pretty blurry, and I don't think it would be useful for much else than sort of framing the image you want to capture...certainly not for any kind of focusing....is that normal, or is there something wrong with the viewfinder? This is my first digital camera, so I only have my old film camera to compare to. thanks, Deborah
Old Oct 3, 2008, 6:11 PM   #9

I don't find the image in the viewfinder to be blurry. Perhaps you should try cleaning it with a soft cloth.

I don't use the viewfinder that much as I greatly prefer to frame my photos with the LCD. However, on bright, sunny days it's helpful.
Old Oct 4, 2008, 6:57 PM   #10

Hi Again, I was experimenting with some close-up shots of bugs and little things, and find that the image framed in the optical viewfinder is completely different from that framed in the LCD viewfinder...in some cases the bug wasn't even in the picture, even though it was in the center of the optical viewfinder. Or the object was only halfway in the picture...is this just to be expected of digital cameras, or does it sound like something is wrong. It was a sunny day here and I couldn't even see the LCD viewfinder to frame my shots, so had to use the optical, but then completely missed what I was trying to photograph. Thanks for your help, Deborah