Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 26, 2008, 3:49 AM   #11

Hey again all.

Thanks to those who have posted.. i've used this thread as a really great launching point into the spiral that is photography.. I really appreciate everyone's input here.

I have familiarized myself with the canon itself and have also been looking at all the variety of lenses for my camera on slrgear.

The main ones that I've set my sights on arethe Canon EF-S 55-250mm so I can get some range out of my cam, and also a bit better wide angle in the 50mm f1.4. Tcav I know you mentioned in yoru first post that the 1.8 would be a better idea due to the price, but a big reason why I'd like to just spend the extra is the better capabilities of the f1.4 in lower light conditions. Also, the reviews of the 1.8 don't seem as positive as the 1.4

I also have looked into Tamron lenses, but haven't been able to find much around my area. What are your opinions on Sigma????

Thanks guys. Oh, and btw, I have posted my first couple shots in the c&c forum
ScoobyDooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2008, 7:51 AM   #12

ScoobyDooby wrote:
Quote:
Tcav I know you mentioned in yoru first post that the 1.8 would be a better idea due to the price, but a big reason why I'd like to just spend the extra is the better capabilities of the f1.4 in lower light conditions. Also, the reviews of the 1.8 don't seem as positive as the 1.4
Tehre's also teh 50mm f/1.2L if you've got deep pockets.

ScoobyDooby wrote:
Quote:
I also have looked into Tamron lenses, but haven't been able to find much around my area. What are your opinions on Sigma????
The Sigma 70-300 APO is also a good lens, but there have been reports of the autofocus gears stripping in the Sony (Minolta) mount versions. And the Sigma is more expensive than the Tamron 70-300 Di LD.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2008, 11:04 AM   #13

ScoobyDooby,

The Canon Rebel XSi is a great choice for a DSLR.

I find that a wide angle zoom is generally a nice walk around lens.

You can speak with people at a normal conversational range, and maybe take on or two steps back and get a group shot.

None of this standing fifty feet back and asking people to smile for the camera sort of thing.

To that end, I'd recommend that you take a look at a zoom lens with 17mm at the "wide" end.

At the telephoto end, generally if you try to get something that does 17-200mm, it won't do anything well.

Most people go for a 17-70, 17-85 or 17-50 range of wide angle telephoto.

Sigma and Tamron offer great zooms for less money than Canon, although if you were ever to sell a lens, Canon lenses tend to hold their 2nd hand value better.

Personally I like Sigma - great build quality and optics for the money - however there are some nice Tamrons too.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2008, 5:11 PM   #14

^^ thanks for your opinion Terry

So I went ahead and grabbed myself the 55-250mm IS lens by Canon. Haven't had much time to use it, or weather mind you, but I got it used for a pretty sweet price and had to jump on it.

The only other lens that I may pick up would be the 50mm f1.4 lens but I'm in no rush for the moment.. I can just use the kit 18-55 should I need wider angle.

Thanks so much for all the opinions in here guys.. you've made this whole topic much clearer for me now and for the future.

:-D
ScoobyDooby is offline   Reply With Quote