Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 11, 2008, 1:26 PM   #21
Super Moderator

TCav wrote:
Quote:
I agree with everything everyone has said here (for the most part), but I'd like to also mention that, in order to take advantage of all the benefits of a full frame image sensor, you really need excellent lenses. If a lens isn't very sharp, the greater resolution of the image sensor is going to waste. If the lens doesn't have a neutral color cast, then the increased dynamic range will go to waste. So, having a full frame dSLR puts a great demand on your lenses.
Actually the MTF requirements for crop cameras are universally quite a lot higher than they are for FF cameras.

Don't forget that it is only now with 20+Mp FF cameras arriving on the scene that we have reached the same pixel density as we had 3-4 years ago with the 8Mp crop cameras. If you had a FF camera with the same density as the 50D it would be 45Mp.

That is not to say that it's not worth spending money on the best lenses, just that it's not always absolutely necessary.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2008, 7:02 AM   #22

John

Ok, I looked at some cameras and I really like the 5D....couldnt hold the 5DII as not in yet. Is there a way to find out when I can get it?

I like the feel of the camera and I now understand "full frame" and couldnt agree more. Also ordered a couple books on digital photography so I can start reading up.

I wanted to ask the boards opinion on a lens. I heard from a couple people that they prefer the 24-70 2.8 L series lens over the 24-105. What is the biggest differences, and i I were going to buy the camera and TWO lenses what would you suggest as the two to have. I prefer the L series lenses as everything I read says your money should be in your lenses.

Thanks....!
inthemoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2008, 7:41 AM   #23

24-70 vs 24-105:

24-105 is sharper of the 2 and covers longer focal lengthbut it's f4

24-70 is less sharp but it's 2.8

It comes down to whether you need 2.8 or not. You give up focal length and sharpness to get it. I don't see anything in your shooting requirements that indicates the 2.8 would be enough benefit to you. Both are L lenses and both built extremely well. For your needs I think the 24-105 is a better match.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2008, 7:48 AM   #24

as for a 2nd lens there are options for your wildlife:

70-300 IS USM - sharp lens for a non-L. It's major advantage is weight and price ($560). The disadvantage is - on a full frame it's not very long. And, I hate lenses whose focus ring rotates when it focuses. But much more compact for travel

Sigma 50-500 ($1000). Plenty of reach but big and heavy for a travel lens. Build quality and performance are very good.

Canon 100-400L - size wise in between the above two lenses. Very versatile lens but it's $1400.

Each of the above has pros/cons as I've said. Want the 'L'? You'll pay for it. Want more reach? The size/weight comes with it? Want to save some money? you get plastic rather than metal and you lose important reach.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 3:03 PM   #25
Super Moderator

Have a look at the reviews on slrgear.com and photozone.de.

For me the 24-70 f2.8 is not great; it's very heavy, f2.8 isn't all that fast, it doesn't have IS, has a smaller zoom range and it's a bit more expensive.

If you really need fast lenses then the primes are better.

From the way you describe your photographic ambitions I would suggest holding off on a very expensive telephoto for now, you may need one later but in your shoes I'd start like this if you can afford it:

1. 5DMkII + 24-105 L (kit saves some cash).
2. Canon Speedlight 430 or 580.
3. Canon 70-300 IS.
4. Canon EF 50mm f1.4.

If you have to drop anything start at #4 and work backwards.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 5:38 PM   #26

Hi. Could you explain the differences between the 100-400 and the 70-300 lens? Also, under what circumstances will I need the 580II flash? I thought this had a flash, but need to go back and see ...must not be built in.

Thanks.....
Old Oct 21, 2008, 6:00 PM   #27

inthemoment wrote:
Quote:
Hi. Could you explain the differences between the 100-400 and the 70-300 lens? Also, under what circumstances will I need the 580II flash? I thought this had a flash, but need to go back and see ...must not be built in.
Thanks.....
100-400L is a professional caliber lens. Metal build vs. plastic of the 70-300. The 100-400 is a bit different than most lenses though - most lenses have a zoom ring on the lens you turn to zoom in and out. The 100-400 you push out / pull in to zoom in/out. Both have a 5.6 aperture at their longest zoom. But the 100-400 has 100mm more. So you're paying about $800 more to get that extra 100mm, plus the pro grade optics plus the pro grade construction.

The 5d does have a built in flash - but built in flashes are universally pretty poor. They're not very powerful, they take a long time to recharge, they can't be bounced (without strange contraptions) and because they're so close to the lens you get red-eye when you use them. An external flash provides much better light output, better recycling times and because it can be bounced you get softer more diffuse light. But it comes at a price - not only in cost but its more size and weight you have to carry around.

But I have to say - it doesn't make much sense to me to say you care enough about photo quality to spend $3000 on camera gear but use the built-in flash for your flash work. I would reserve the built in flash for emergency use only. but that's just my opinion.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 6:35 PM   #28

John

Thanks. Remember, newbie here getting equipment I wont grow out of for a long time. So, that is why I am asking lots of questions. I assumed the answer you gave but that is one more thing I will have to learn about, using a flash. I will have my hands full learning..

Thanks for all the great input I appreciate it. I just wish the camera was out so I could get started.... lol

Old Nov 5, 2008, 5:24 PM   #29

John

First, thanks for all your help. I have decided on getting the following:

Canon 5dII kit with 24-105 lens

100-400 lens

580exII

I just have one more question and that is about the tripod you suggested. I am 5'10", do you think that this will be a good size for me without extending the center column of the tripod? Also, will it support the 400 lens and camera? Thanks...