Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 8, 2008, 9:19 AM   #1

I currently am shooting with a superzoom which works wonderful. However, am getting more into photography espically wildlife. Would a DSLR give me better photos over my superzoom? What would be a good lens at a resonable price and a good camera to go with? I have gave a the Sony line some consideration. Any help with this would be great.

Zoofan
zoofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2008, 9:32 AM   #2

What type of wildlife? And are we talking wild,free ranging or zoos. For zoo shots you'll see SOME improvement but not enough IMO to justify the move. For wild, free ranging you can see a BIG improvement. BUT it can get VERY expensive to shoot wildlife. AND depending on the subject you need to be relatively close.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 11:23 AM   #3

Mostly zoo shots however plan to make a trip to Yellowstone in the near future. Also enjoy taking pics of aircraft but wildlife is my primary shooting besides family. I also like taking pics of nature as well. I just hate to invest the money if it will not benefit my photograpyhowever would love to get a DSLR. Would, I be better off not going the DSLR route then? I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question and look forward to any further insight.
zoofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 12:14 PM   #4

For outdoor zoo shots in good light you're not going to see a big improvement. You'll see an improvement and that improvement will be a good amount if you're using pro grade glass (sharper results - more pleasantly blurred background). With consumer grade zoom lens not a big improvement IMO.

Indoor zoo shots you could see a big improvement - the ability to shoot clean at ISO 1600 and usable ISO 3200 and the availability of 1.8 lenses for a cheap price will definitely improve the indoor shots.

For the Yellowstone trip - if wildlife is the thing - you can see a big improvement. But to really get good results you'll want to buy or rent appropriate lens. Something 400mm or greater. And you want it to be sharp at it"s max length.So throwing a TC on a consumer grade 300mm lens and manually focusing it isn't going to get great results. Wildlife in general can benefit greatly from a DSLR but you need the quality glass to get those great results if it's true wildlife (i.e. not a bird on your deck railing). For landscape shots you'll benefit from better dynamic range the larger sensors provide and better detail. But the biggest improvement there comes from planning the shots so the light is correct anyway. A digicam shot at the right time of day is still going to be better than a pro DSLR shot at2pm on a bright hazy day.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote