Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 12, 2008, 12:56 PM   #1

Hi everyone

Just looking for a simple ultra-compact or compact P&S for taking on holiday. Will mainly photograph the sights, scenery and people/buildings.

Someone suggested one of the Panasonic FX or FS series of camera, as they have a wide-angle lens.

Can I have suggestions please? I am unlikely to be blowing up the prints or cropping them - just general pictures of the normal size you'd get from using a 35mm camera!

Thanks.

CamNovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2008, 10:56 PM   #2

Budget?

Experience?

Size expectation of the camera? (as in, must be able stick in shirt pocket, pants pocket or purse)?

AA or rechargeable batteries, or don't care?

Indoor usage or strictly outdoor?

Preference for memory card type?

Will you need to shoot in tight spaces (wider len) or will want to shoot some snaps ofthemountains in the distance?

Hate to say this, but every camera on the market is good.... for like taking a picture of a group of 4 people standing in front of the hotel during day light hours, or junior playing in the surf line at the beach.

I personally love Panasonic cameras. Big bang for the bucks in my opinion.

I also like wide angle lenses. I think people should take a step back (shoot wider) for many photos, especially travel type photos.

As a general rule Panasonic FX or FS cameras will do very nicely. But with some more thought into this process we might pick out a really fantastic camera.

StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2008, 8:07 AM   #3

Hi

No more that 200GBP.

Ideally coat/jeans pocket size.

It would be my first camera so I have no real photography experience at all.

Rechargeables would be better, I guess.

I might use it at the odd indoor social gathering but mainly to be used outdoors.

I'd like something with a wider angle lens, if possible.

Thanks for your advice so far.

Old Oct 13, 2008, 10:17 PM   #4

200 GBP = British Pounds? 200 GBP ~ $335

Assuming British prices are similar, for$335 equiv you can get a pretty darn good camera.

For under $250 (US Dollar or about 150 GPB) you could purchase the Panasonic DMC-TZ5 or for slightly less money the TZ4.

I mention those two cameras for many reasons. Good wide angle lens (28mm equiv) that includes 10x optical zoom (280mm equiv) and standard shooting and optional shooting modes for many situations. Great camera for taking to the zoo, mountains, where you may go. Has builtin flash for some indoor usage and is definitely pocketable.

Why go with a different camera? Maybe a better lensin terms of absolute resolution quality, wider lens, longer lens etc.Or a faster shooting camera, more shooting modes,manual operation, stronger flash or low light performance. Of course price is always an issue.

But a grab and go camera, the TZ4 or TZ5 are hard to beat.

There are many online reviews of the TZ's. Steve's has done a review on the TZ-4.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_...sonic_tz4.html

Personally I have the TZ-4 on my Santa Claus Wish List for a camera to carry about in my car while I travel the local streets.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 7:09 AM   #5

Thanks.

Not sure if the TZ4 or TZ5 are pocketable enough - most reviews seem to say that they aren't.

Any other suggestions please?

Old Oct 14, 2008, 8:39 AM   #6

Panasonic FS5, FS20, FX35 or FX37, Sony W150 or W170, Canon Ixus 860 or 870, Fuji F100fd, Nikon S610. They are all good small cameras, have wide angle lenses, are thin and pocket-sized and are within your price range.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2008, 7:08 PM   #7

CamNovice wrote:
Quote:
Thanks.

Not sure if the TZ4 or TZ5 are pocketable enough - most reviews seem to say that they aren't.

Any other suggestions please?

I use my old P&S as my standard for a shirt pocket camera. Everybody needs a standard to define a camera's function. My standard for a shirt pocket camera was a Kodak DX6340 which weighed280grams and measured109mm x65mm x 38mm.

Thecamera was as large as I could fit into my fromt shirt pocket and still remove the camera (using the attachedhandle) without disrupting my shirt..... and still have room for a ball point pen in the pocket.

The TZ4 is 245grams 103mm x 59mm x 36mm, which means my old camera was/is a wee bit larger and heavier.

The important part of those numbers is the thicknessof the camera (around the middle of the camera) because that is what will prevent the camera from being withdrawn from the pocket. My old camera was about206mm thick while the TZ4 is about 190mm thick.

IF a reviewerdisagrees with my criteria for a shirtpocket camera... so be it. But I must wonder what istheir standard for a shirtpocket camera? I agree ifyou need to share the shirt pocket with other stuff then the TZ4 will not be small enough, but, IMHO, as a camera only in pocket the TZ4 will do quite well.

Old Oct 15, 2008, 5:55 PM   #8

Decided on a Pana FS5 with a 2Gb SD card and leather case for £150.

Thanks for all your help.