Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 12, 2008, 7:20 PM   #1

My dad recently bought me a Canon XS/EOS 1000D and I started taking Photography classes and it really sparked my interest in photography.

Even though the EOS 1000d is like the most lightweight DSLR (right?) I still don't see myself carrying one of those around with me everyday.

So what's a good point and shoot? Here are my requirements

When turned off it makes a nice little box... If that's the right word. I've seen some of those smaller cameras have like a lens sticking out. That's just not very portable for me.

Around 10x zoom?

Relatively easy interface... Although I'm willing to learn if it's going to be worth it. The previous point and shoots I've had are some Casio ones with lots of fun modes.

Nice big display is always good.

Yea fun modes are a little plus.

Price... I'm not really sure how much these cameras go for... Of course the cheaper the better but if there's a really good camera in that price range that can be had for a couple dollars more I might be willing to stretch my budget.

My budget is up to $200

:P

I don't really have any brand preferences. For DSLR I seem to be set on the Canon route but this one does not necessarily have to be a Canon.
awesom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2008, 9:11 PM   #2

If you look hard online, you may be able to find the Panasonic TZ4 for about $200 (make sure to go to a reputable site, like Amazon.com). That's the cheapest, pocket-sized long zoom camera you're going to find.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2008, 9:57 AM   #3

Andy nailed it with the TZ4. Most compacts under the $200 mark are 3X or 4X optical zoom. The TZ4 has pretty simple auto controls. For more control games you would need to consider those other brands with a lot less zoom than the TZ4. Or the Fujifilm S700 (aka S5700) which does not have retracting lens, so not really a pocket camera.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2008, 1:10 AM   #4

Thanks. Is the TZ5 the same camera but slightly better? There doesn't seem to be a huge price difference. Is there a reason why you're not recommending the TZ5 other than the extra 20/30 dollars?
Old Oct 15, 2008, 9:33 AM   #5

Areview on another siteshows the TZ5 as having significantly greater shutter lag vs the TZ4. However there are lots of ways to measure this. So whether it's a difference that would be noticable in your type of shooting is an open question. Some folks aresuper concerned about shutter lag, so there it is.

Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2008, 12:53 AM   #6

Thanks guys. I did a bit of reading and I think I will go with the TZ5. Everything is a little better except for a bit of shutter lag but that shouldn't matter too much for me. Besides it seems to have like this hi-speed burst mode which already exceeds my needs.

Thanks!