Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 17, 2008, 4:08 PM   #11
Administrator

That's what I'd suggest (stick with a kit lens to start out with). If you're not getting the results you want, ask why here, posting downsized samples for members to look at. That way, you can get some tips on what you may need to do differently to improve your shots, as well as suggestions on lens alternatives if the equipment is holding you back in some way in some conditions.

Then, after you learn to get the best out of the equipment you get, you'll be able to make better informed decisions on anything else that you may need for the type of shooting you want to do more often.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2008, 4:40 PM   #12

JohnG in answer to your question as to why so many camera's in a relatively short spaceoftimewas my first real camera was a Sony H5 and i thought i would upgrade it and consequently tried a few newer camera's and nothing really was on par with IQ, but the thing i seem to notice with nearly all of them was the poor IQ as you got to 400 iso and above, i didn't really shoot that much above 400 but felt disappointed when i did, i did end back with a H5 again, but i think i am ready for a go with dslr's now. I might hate it, but you dont know till you have a go !!

Looks like some sort of Canon maybe.

Tag
tag007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2008, 10:29 AM   #13

Hello, went to the stores today as i made my mind up on a Canon 1000d, once there had another hold of the camera and it felt good the problem was the Nikon D60 felt better...Damn...could not make a decision and ended up walking out of the shop.

The 1000d was £349 with the kit 18-55 iIS lens (and £30 cashback from canon)

The d60 was £319 with the 18-55 af-svr lens.

effectively the same price now, my head says the Nikon but my heart says canon.

My head says Nikon because it felt nicer and the menu's seemed easy.

My heart says Canon because it would probaably be easier to grow with because of the lens choices afterwards aswell as having auto focus built in to the body and nikon not, am i right with that statement??

Tag
Old Oct 18, 2008, 10:42 AM   #14
Administrator

tag007 wrote:
Quote:
My heart says Canon because it would probaably be easier to grow with because of the lens choices afterwards aswell as having auto focus built in to the body and nikon not, am i right with that statement??
Not exactly.... All Canon Autofocus lenses have focus motors built into the lens, so their bodies don't need one built in. It's just a matter of what type of motor is in the lens (some are faster than others).

With Nikon, some lenses rely on a focus motor built into the camera body (and the D40, D40x and D60 don't have focus motors built into their bodies). So, you have to make sure to get a lens that does have a focus motor built in if you want Autofocus with those cameras.

Old Oct 18, 2008, 10:57 AM   #15

Thanks JimC

I do value you obvious knowledge and experience.

What would you pick given i will be going with the kit lens and might grow 6 months or so down the line with maybe another lensmore specific to what i seem to be using the camera morefor.

Tag
Old Oct 18, 2008, 12:02 PM   #16
Administrator

You'll have to decide that (which one is best for you). ;-)

There are pros and cons to any of them. But, they're all capable of taking some nice photos.

From a lens cost perspective, you'd have more choices in AF lenses with the Canon. But, as time passes, more lenses should have focus motors built into them to allow the Nikon to Autofocus. For example, we're already seeing Tamron and Sigma incorporate focus motors into a number of their new lenses so that they'll work on the entry level Nikon models. There are still some gaps in the lineup though, where you may need to spend more to find a suitable lens (for example, some of the inexpensive primes like the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 won't Autofocus on a D60, and the other choices will cost you a lot more (for example around $500 for the new Sigma 50mm f/1.4 HSM lens with a fast motor built in). You'll also limit your choices in used lenses with a Nikon solution, since most used Nikon Autofocus lenses are not going to have AF motors built in. Personally, I'd want those choices. But, many Nikon owners may stick to newer lenses with focus motors built in anyway.

Old Oct 18, 2008, 4:29 PM   #17

I know ultimately I will have to make the decision , and trust me i will and very soon !!

But, is their anyone out there thathas had experience of :-

Canon 1000d vs Nikon D60 just with their kit lenses just as a starter to get some practise. it will not be for any type of specificshots.

I probably wont buy any other len's, as i would rather upgrade the camera and get len's if i need them.

Tag
Old Oct 18, 2008, 9:49 PM   #18

Tag ...

I bought a Nikon D60 a few months ago. I have no regrets at all. I got the two lens (18-55mm and 55-200mm) in the deal. I pretty much use the 18-55mm. I shoot everything ... landscape, sports, portraits, etc.and have not found a nitch where the D60 failed me.

I am no pro (by a longshot) but I am pleased with the results from the D60.

FWIW
Dave Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2008, 2:40 AM   #19

Thanks FWIW. Just a quick questionfor you have you had any problems with only having 3 point focusing instead of most others 9 or 11 or anybody else??

Tag
Old Oct 19, 2008, 4:35 PM   #20

decision was made today and i bought a Canon 450d, hopefully imade a good choice for a starter DSLR for me.... what do you reckon??