Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 19, 2008, 5:02 PM   #1

I've had my canon s3 is now for almost two years an this site was invaluable in helping me chose it

now I'm looking to get a good quality p&s for the wife, but as there is so much to chose from nowadays I'm really not sure where to start

this is what's needs

1) easy to use - lots of features are great, but this really does need to be as "auto" as possible without compromising IQ and performance

2) image stabalization - this has to be top notch. my wife seriously gets the shakes,

3) shutter lag - for same reason as above this needs ot be a minimum

4) camera size - needs to be easy to fit into purse/hand bag/pocket

5) night shooting also needs ot be good quality - she's going to newyork with her sister within a couple of weeks and I know will be majorly anoyed if those night shots out on the town and city scapes don;t come out well

that's it sreally!

price is not a major concern but as a froogle yorshireman I want to get the best "bang for my buck"!!!

ALL Suggestions greatly appreciated

cheers

Chris

Sibling Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2008, 5:38 PM   #2
Administrator

A good place to start your search is Steve's Best Cameras List (models deemed to be a good value within their market niche).

If you read the review conclusion sections for models you consider here (it's the last page before the sample images in each model's review), you'll usually see some discussion on the types of things you're interested in, including performance related issues like Startup time, Autofocus Speed, cycle times between photos with and without a flash, and more.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:23 AM   #3

The Panasonic FS3, which is on Steve's list, seems to be a very user-friendly camera. It takes nice pictures, has optical image stabilization, and has very good ergonomics, in my opinion. It's also being sold for about $50 less than it was a few months ago.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2008, 3:25 PM   #4

Canon IXUS 860 IS (aka SD870) beats the Panny for shutter lag. But for the night time cityscape the new Nikon S610 may take the honors. I don't think any one camera is going to win on all of your points. Especially with the budget wide open.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 7:35 AM   #5

thanks for the suggestions so far

I can see that having looked at some of the cameras mentioned they contain a lot of features that to a large extent would be redundant.

So I guess setting a budget might help see the wood for the trees. So lets say max £150 (GBP)

does that help? anyone got any good links to comparison sites?
Old Oct 21, 2008, 9:52 AM   #6

Panasonic FX33 and Sony W130 will fit that budget. Still a good number of "features" to these, but the really basic cameras are now extinct. Even £100 cameras will have plenty of features.

Kelly Cook
Old Oct 21, 2008, 11:22 AM   #7

Consider the Fuji F50fd for better low light pictures. If you could bump your budget to around £175, then consider the Fuji F100fd with a wider and longer zoom, plus excellent low light photography.

Dennis

denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 2:48 PM   #8

KCook wrote:
Quote:
Panasonic FX33 and Sony W130 will fit that budget. Still a good number of "features" to these, but the really basic cameras are now extinct. Even £100 cameras will have plenty of features.

Kelly Cook
thanks

I had just starte dlooking at the sony range when I read your post - looks interesting!

not so positive bout the panasonic hearing it has some noise issues - being good in low light is one of the fewrequirements I have really
Old Oct 21, 2008, 6:13 PM   #9

This was why I first brought up the new Nikon S610. But it is now well over budget.

Kelly
Old Oct 25, 2008, 4:16 PM   #10

You might consider a Pansonic TZ 5. It has a wide 28mm 10x optical zoom lens and although not ultracompact it is small enough to travel in my purse. I think the IQ quite good for a small camera and it is very easy to use. It's drawback is that it does not have a viewfinder or manual controls. I got mine for $204 US on ebay and they are now available in the 200-250 range in a number of reputable places.
Rags
rags is offline   Reply With Quote