Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 22, 2008, 2:33 PM   #21
Super Moderator

I was indeed referring to the 1.2L.

On photozone the edge performance of the Sony 50 f1.4 on a crop is absolutely abysmal wide open. The bokeh is pretty nasty and it doesn't have an SSM focus motor.

The Canon 50 f1.4 ain't no great shakes either at 1.4.

But that is the comparison - they are very similar lenses of similar vintage design.

Nikon had a similar lens, but have just recently updated theirs, and the new lens looks much better, but...

The Canon f1.2 is a very different beast altogether.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 3:28 PM   #22

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Of course, we're a bit off topic, since the OP is looking for a camera to use at very high ISO speeds (and I'm assuming he's already aware of the advantages of faster glass in low light, so he's probably more concerned with noise levels at a given ISO speed and aperture).

At ISO 6400, I'd probably give Nikon's new D700 the advantage for models in the desired price range (although I'd still take a look at the Canon 5D and 5D Mark II and see how they compare).
But that's my point.

A fast lens at ISO 1600 will work as wellas a kit lens at ISO 6400 (if not better), and it will cost a lot less. ISO is not a substitute for aperture ... or shutter speed, for that matter. ISO is a last resort, and it hasn't been working well for the OP so far.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 3:36 PM   #23
Administrator

The OP already had fast glass, including a 50mm f/1.4 from what I can see from previous posts. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 3:38 PM   #24

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
I was indeed referring to the 1.2L.

On photozone the edge performance of the Sony 50 f1.4 on a crop is absolutely abysmal wide open. The bokeh is pretty nasty and it doesn't have an SSM focus motor.

The Canon 50 f1.4 ain't no great shakes either at 1.4.

But that is the comparison - they are very similar lenses of similar vintage design.

Nikon had a similar lens, but have just recently updated theirs, and the new lens looks much better, but...

The Canon f1.2 is a very different beast altogether.
I'm the first to say that, at $350, the Sony 50/1.4 is overpriced. But at $1,400, the Canon 50/1.2L is in the same class as the Sony/Zeiss 85/1.4 and 135/1.8, and Canon doesn't have anything in their class. I've seen some of the photos you took with your 50/1.2L and they are spectacular, but I would have a lot of trouble spending $1,000 for 1/2 f-stop.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 3:55 PM   #25
Super Moderator

Hmm, well the Canon 85mm f1.2 and 135mm f2 are surely in the same class aren't they?

Actually the sweet spot for me on 50mm is f2. So what I really want is for Zeiss to take their 50mm f2 Planar Macro (available for Nikon/Pentax and soon Canon) and make it available for the Alpha!!

Don't get me wrong I love Zeiss lenses. I love Zeiss altogether in fact. I have a Zeiss Ikon camera and 50mm f2 Planar lens, which is fab.

I think with a full set of Zeiss primes (or even really just with a fantastic 50mm) I would be very tempted by an A900. But for now I'm sticking with my 5D and 50 f1.2, I'll give Zeiss/Sony a little while to sort themselves out because I'm pretty sure they will get round to it sooner or later.

The other place has just published their review of the A900, and the amazing thing really is how well the IQ from the 5DMk1 holds up still.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 1:43 PM   #26

Thanks for the info everyone!

Yes I am thinking 2 cameras at this moment:

D700 or D5 mark II.

Nikon is known for Good IQ (sofware) not? And

Canon is knows for it's better sensors not?
feetjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 1:59 PM   #27

I wouldn't buy a $2000-3000 dslr based upon the bundled software. Don't let that sway you much. If you really are into post processing you'll want to get better software than comes with EITHER camera.

As for sensors - Nikon has changed their sensors. While it's true the Canon sensors used to have an edge, since nikon left the CCD sensors behind I don't think that's the case. In reality, it's tough to compare the D700 and 5dmkII because the 5d hasn't hit the streets yet. I think it's a good idea to keep an open mind until it does. It won't take long after it does for the comparisons to come pooring in. If you can wait a couple months you can have some real, hard data to go buy rather than just spec sheets.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote