Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 25, 2008, 12:34 PM   #1

Hi everyone, Im back again to ask for some more advice, this time for my sister. I bought a canon 40D a while back after help from this forum and am delighted with it, still a lot to learn but am going in the right direction. Now that my sister has seen the pictures I take of her son with my camera and compares them to hers taken with a basic point/shoot she wants to upgrade her camera. Dont blame her for that :G
Now she doesn't want an SLR , and size wise not much bigger than the lumix. The pictures she takes are 90% indoors of a moving toddler, so low light performance is a prime factor, video would be a bonus as would AV.
Am I steering her in the right direction with the Lumix or is there another you would recommend? thanks in advance
bonjen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2008, 4:18 PM   #2

I strongly disagree that the Panasonic FZ18 would be a good camera for your sister. The FZ18 really shine in taking pictures in good light and in situations where its 18x optical zoom can be used. But your sister doesn't need the long zoom at all. You know that your DSLR is good in low light. However, point and shoots are not nearly as good.

The Fuji F100fd is the only small camera that might be OK for your sister's low light photo needs but I think she'd find most other point and shoots to be frustratingly inadequate.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2008, 5:21 PM   #3

If she can fit it in her budget, the Panasonic LX3 has a "faster" lens, f/2.0, and might actually do a better job as a point and shoot in low light. It currently sells through Amazon for about $426, which is less expensive than a DSLR, but would give her better low light performance than most point and shoots out there.

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2008, 4:28 PM   #4

I think that dollar-wise the Panny FZ-28 rather than the LX-3 might be a better choice for low light level shots. I use my FZ-28 at ISO 800 quite often with good results. Here is a sample.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2008, 5:13 PM   #5

I have a F30, reputedly the best compact camera for low light. It can give a reasonable picture indoors without flash on a static subject, but does not compare with my D40. DSLRs such as the D40 are similar in size to superzooms such as the Panasonic Z18 and are in a comparable prize range now.

A small entry level DSLR such as the D40 would give her the quality she wants but unfortunately without the video capability.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2008, 7:38 PM   #6

thanks , I'll check out the other cameras you mentioned, I asked on a fz18 forum and the people that answered all said that they got great results in low light. Saying that I didn't see there photos so I cant tell what they mean by "great"

Sarah your photo looks fab,

Dennis, as always - thanks for your opinion
bonjen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2008, 9:43 PM   #7

I don't know where bonjen is located, but in the US, the price for the FZ28 is under $300 at a number of online etailers. I don't think that the FZ18 is available new anywhere much lower. From what I have read, the FZ28 improved upon the FZ18 a little bit in a number of ways, among them, better low light performance.

I was looking at a list of cameras' shutter lags and there were a number of Sony cameras with very short lags. One of them was the Sony H-50.

Maybe Sarah can share her impressions of that camera.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2008, 12:00 PM   #8

Robbo & Dennis-

I used the Sony H-50 with very creditable results last night (10/30) This was no flash/existing light at ISO 400 F 3.5 at 1/125th with EV-1.0 to correct the skin tones.

Happy Halloween!

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote