Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 28, 2008, 3:35 AM   #11

It would help if the OP were more specific about his needs. When you say "offshore fishing", does that mean you are working as a commercial fisherman (and therefore exposed to the elements in which case you would want something impact and water resistant) or do you go fishing on a charter boat (when a less sturdy camera could survive)? I don't think there are any particularly weather proof superzooms. Is there a reason why a superzoom is desired? Will you be taking pictures of distant whales or sea lions?

I would probably go for the Sony H50 because of the low light capabilities.

However, I just ordered the Panasonic FZ28.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2008, 3:58 PM   #12

If anyone has used the Canon SX10 IS in a concert setting please let me know how well it works. I mostly take concert shots with my cameras. Also, let me know how the video works as well. I take several videos at concerts as well. Thanks
Deb308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2008, 9:21 PM   #13

robbo wrote:
Quote:
It would help if the OP were more specific about his needs. When you say "offshore fishing", does that mean you are working as a commercial fisherman (and therefore exposed to the elements in which case you would want something impact and water resistant) or do you go fishing on a charter boat (when a less sturdy camera could survive)? I don't think there are any particularly weather proof superzooms. Is there a reason why a superzoom is desired? Will you be taking pictures of distant whales or sea lions?

I would probably go for the Sony H50 because of the low light capabilities.

However, I just ordered the Panasonic FZ28.
Quote:
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Guys/gals, when I say offshore fishing, I am on large long range boat out of San Diego. Being waterproof/resistant is not a problem. It is almost like fishing from a cruise ship.
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:40 AM   #14

I have neither camera. I suspect that the Sony willl do better in low light. If I were going to take almost all daylight shots, I might buy the Canon because of its slightly wider wide angle setting (28mm vs 31mm) and longer telephoto (520mm vs 465mm).

By the way, you can get the little brother of the Casio you like so much, the EX-FH20, for $599, but I wouldn't be so interested in it unless I wanted super fast burst modes and very fast video recording.

You can get the Panasonic FZ-28. Any reason it doesn't appeal to you?
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2008, 5:56 PM   #15

Robbo, I simply have not considered the Panasonic simply because of ignorance. Have not seen it nor do I know anything about it. I guess Sony/Canon's marketing hype has caught me. Thanks all for your suggestions. I am off to read about the Panasonic.
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2008, 8:18 PM   #16

Outhouse-

I surely do agree with robbo! The Panasonic FZ-28 would make an excellent choice. I own both the Sony H-50 and the Panasonic FZ-28 and much prefer the FZ-28. Here is a sample photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2008, 8:52 PM   #17

should show two photos of each camera my H50 can take as good a photo as that one, if Canon makes their digital cameras like they make there camcorders i would pass as they are garbage!
Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2008, 10:39 AM   #18

Hi Canadian-

Well, I am listening to your comments. Here is a no flash/existing light photo taken with the H-50. It is F 3.5 at a 1/125 on the shutter with EV 1.0 to get the facial tones correctly. What do you think?

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Oct 31, 2008, 9:42 PM   #19

looks good, what setting mode in that one P mode? thanks
Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2008, 10:08 PM   #20

Canadian-

Yes, that photo, like this one was shot in the P Mode. This is F 4.0 at 1/80th with EV-1.3 to correct for facial tones.

Sarah Joyce