Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 25, 2008, 10:22 PM   #1

Guys, Santa is looking for my Christmas list and I think I am going to add a superzoom to the list. Could one of you helpful pros help me make this decision? I would love to add the Casio EX F1 but it is just too pricey. You guys rule in your knowledge and willingness to help.

I am trying to decide between the new Sony H50 and thenew Canon SX10 is

Jon

Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2008, 8:59 PM   #2

Bump, surprised no replies???
Old Oct 26, 2008, 9:48 PM   #3

Toss a coin. You haven't stated what type of photos you want to take which is why you received no answer. With unstated needs the cameras are equal.

Bumps not appreciated.

A. C.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:33 AM   #4

Outhouse wrote:
Quote:
Bump, surprised no replies???

I have put up a variety of sample photo's from the SX10 at:
http://flickr.com/photos/poncho_nm/s...780622/detail/

Here is what I think is a good example of the 20x Optical Zoom (Focal Length (35mm equivalent) 28 - 560 mm) of the Canon PowerShot SX10 IS:
http://flickr.com/photos/poncho_nm/2...7607917780622/
http://flickr.com/photos/poncho_nm/2...7607917780622/

I chose the SX10 for a variety of reasons. One was the wide angle capability. Telephoto capability was a second consideration. I bought the S2 when it came out and it still serves me well. My first new Canon was the F1 SLR which I bought in 1972. I am not a pro, just old and enjoy photography. The SX10 is a good overall camera for me.

Rich
Poncho_48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 4:06 PM   #5

Both are likely good cameras. The SX10 has widest focal length range, 28mm-560mm euiv. compared to the H50's 31mm-465mm range but on the other hand the Sony has a night-shot (0 Lux) capability that I might use on an occasion. I've used neither camera but a good friend purchased a H50 just before leaving on vacation to Australia. I saw his slide show afterwards and the quality of the pictures spoke well of the camera's usability and short learning curve.

Again without some input from the OP one really can't say whether one is better than the other for the OP.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 4:14 PM   #6

Yes, the "NightShot" which is true infrared imaging is one plus of the Sony H50, if you need the feature. I have used the feature on Sony camcorders in the past.

As I recall, the H50 also has a remote, which I sometimes wished Canon would have.

Both cameras are in the same price range.

Rich
Poncho_48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 5:43 PM   #7

Guys, sorry I didn't exactly phrase my question right and thanks for not beating me up too badly. Most of my use is outdoor related, specifically offshore fishing. Included in this will also be the related sunrise and sunset shots. Finally a few pics of my grandaughter. The wide angle ability of the Canon is probably a big issue but in my experience I have found Sony to have a bit less shutter lag, but again, I don't really know one from the other, thus my posts. Again, I would consider the Casio Ex-F1 but the price is just too high.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 7:25 PM   #8

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
Toss a coin. You haven't stated what type of photos you want to take which is why you received no answer. With unstated needs the cameras are equal.

Bumps not appreciated.

A. C.

Kind of rude i say? funny how someone esle responds to his question then you jump in, should have answered him in your first response :roll:don't worry about bumping the thread no worries here, i have the H50 and love it, lots of features you have to really use it to get the hang of it, takes great photos i love the wide angle and zoom.
Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 8:12 PM   #9

The Panasonic FZ28 really looks good to me - good ergonomics, very good picture quality and performance.

Steve hasn't reviewed it yet but several other camera sites have and they all seem to like it very much.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 9:48 PM   #10

Canadian wrote:
Quote:
Kind of rude i say? funny how someone esle responds to his question then you jump in, should have answered him in your first response :roll:don't worry about bumping the thread no worries here, i have the H50 and love it, lots of features you have to really use it to get the hang of it, takes great photos i love the wide angle and zoom.
Kind of interesting nobody answered him until I said it made no difference then everybody had an opinion. At the upper tier of super/ultra-zooms until someone describes some specific needs the cameras are commodities. Actually neither would be my choice if I were in the market (I'm not) and now that the OP has included offshore fishing in the requirments my first choice would be neither but rather one of the Oly Stylus SW series or the equivalent Pentax OptioW(?) series.

The OP might be interested in this H50/FZ28 comparison: http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.p...=3727&ph=2

They don't have the SX10 posted yet.

A. C.