Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 29, 2008, 1:27 PM   #1

As are many here, I am in the market to upgrade to a dSLR. I need a general purpose dSLR for shots of family, kids, events, nature, etc...

I have read some great posts on the subject in this forum such as one by TCav here
http://tinyurl.com/63dujm

My primary desires are "Starter" DSLR with body <$500 that is on the lighter side of weight.
I am leaning to getting one with Anti shake in the base to keep lens cost down.
(Sony, Pentax and Olympus)

So getting to topic. Thinking about investing in a camera an lenses for the future (can always upgrade body later if good lenses... right?) Do you think the Olympus Four - thirds system ( 4/3 ) is going to survive? My friend with a new sony 350 says it is dying.
:sad:
I was suprised to find no search results on four thirds. I posted this here instead of the olympus forum because It is regarding a decision for a new dSLR and I wanted opinions of olympus and non olypmus owners.

Thanks,

Hotoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2008, 1:38 PM   #2

Four thirds is not going anywhere. In fact, olympus will be releasing a few new 4/3s cameras soon. The still unnamed e-XX (in between the e-520 and the e-3) will be released in the 1st quarter of 09.

Some people thought that the release of micro four thirds meant that olympus would be going away from 4/3s, but they have claimed publicly several times that that is not the case.
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2008, 2:31 PM   #3

I agree I don't think it's going away any time soon. But 3-5 years out??? Who knows. Oly is in distant 4th place in DSLR sales (behind Canon, Nikon and Sony). Over time it may be difficult for them to keep up the pace with having cameras to service the range of users the other 3 have. For instance, one segment that they cannot fulfill is full-frame. I'm not saying that's a reason to not go Oly. Plenty of people will never go full frame. What I am suggesting is it can be tough to be the 4th place horse. It will be interesting to see how Oly spreads themselves. I see the micro 4/3 as having HUGE appeal to cross-over users looking for lighter/smaller solutions with DSLR quality. If that DOES become their bread and butter and does rob their own DSLR user base, Oly may NEED to change direction. They're a business after all - and businesses must make profits.

One thing is certain though - Oly's lenses are definitely some of the best on the market.

Will they still be making DSLRs 4 years down the road? Who knows. I think they'll still be making 4/3. And with their current firmwre direction, those lenses will work on the micro 4/3 cameras. So your lens investment SHOULD be ok if they do close up shop on DSLRs.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2008, 3:29 PM   #4

I have the Canon G9, and like most other G9 owners, I was interested in upgrading to the latest G10, but decided to wait to think about the new Panasonic G1 as a replacement. There is definitely a market for the smaller sized DSLR (without the mirror), larger image sensor, articulating LCD, etc... The current $800 cost for the G1 is fairly reasonable to me, but I realize I could get a larger sensor for about $200 more.

I think people will realize this smaller option is not really that much smaller in the long run. I am still hanging on to my G9, and learning to love it for now.

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2008, 6:42 PM   #5

in the beginning, some people saw the four thirds system becoming a stantard across makers, which would have been beautiful. imagine being able to pick any body and use it with any lens? a pentax k20d with a zuiko 12-60 would be unbeatable

with panasonic apparently withdrawing from the four-thirds system, sticking to m4/3, 4/3s is now pretty much the olympus standard (though the compatibility with m4/3 lenses with an adaptor is still a plus). but there's no reason to believe olympus is closing its doors on dslr, even 5 years from now. they've been releasing bodies and lenses ranging from amateur to pro-level, and the gear is good enough that you can start off with something simple and never outgrow the system - unless you really need the benefits of a full-frame sensor, which only a tiny percentage of us do. anyway, sensor technology is evolving fast, so it's likely that the benefits a full-frame sensor currently offers - very high resolution, sensibility and dynamic range and low noise - will be available in aps-c/fourthirds sensors in a few years time. on top of that, sigma is already offering quite a few lenses for the 4/3s mount, and I'm not sure, but tamron seems to have plans for that as well.

of course, even microsoft could run out of business in a few years, but there's no reason to believe that the 4/3s system will die soon, any more than any other system...
kezs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:26 PM   #6

kezs wrote.....
Quote:
with panasonic apparently withdrawing from the four-thirds system, sticking to m4/3, 4/3s is now pretty much the olympus standard (though the compatibility with m4/3 lenses with an adaptor is still a plus)......
Thanks for the reply's. Will the Micro 4/3rd be a point and shoot only standard? Do you See Olympus releasing micro 4/3rd dSLRs?

Hotoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2008, 1:13 AM   #7

Hotoru wrote:
Quote:
kezs wrote.....
Quote:
with panasonic apparently withdrawing from the four-thirds system, sticking to m4/3, 4/3s is now pretty much the olympus standard (though the compatibility with m4/3 lenses with an adaptor is still a plus)......
Thanks for the reply's. Will the Micro 4/3rd be a point and shoot only standard? Do you See Olympus releasing micro 4/3rd dSLRs?
Olympus will have its own micro 4/3s, but m4/3s is not a point and shoot exactly. It is a camera with interchangeable lenses, but without the mirror that makes a dslr a dslr. You can use regular 4/3s lenses on a micrh 4/3s body, but not the other way around.
dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote