Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 30, 2008, 4:24 PM   #1

I'd like to upgrade from my Olympus SP-550UZ to a DSLR...my issue is the weight of the camera. I prefer shooting in Macro, and would definitely buy
a 90mm or higher lens for the camera. Any suggestions on which of those
DSLRs are lighter in weight than the others? I'd consider Nikon, but not the
latest D40 or D60, and am not interested in Canon cameras. Thanks for your
time.
suzalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2008, 4:32 PM   #2

Olympus makes the smallest andlightest dSLRs, and, for equivalent focal lengths, the smallest andlightest lenses as well. The selection of lenses isn't as wide as for other dSLRs, but there are some that might suit you.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2008, 4:51 PM   #3

Thanks so much for your quick response...I'll check out the Olympic line!

Suzie
Old Oct 30, 2008, 5:46 PM   #4

The Nikon D40 and D60 and the Canon XS and XSi are small and lightweight, but their lenses are heavier than Olympus lenses. The Olympus E420 is very small and light, the E520 is somewhat larger and heavier.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2008, 5:55 PM   #5

Thanks so much, Andy - - will definitely check out the E-420 since I'm quite familiar with the Olympus way of doing things...
Suzie
Old Oct 30, 2008, 8:44 PM   #6

While the Olympus E-420 and E-520 are similar, and the E-520 is larger and heavier, the difference is that the E-520 has sensor shift image stabilization. I think the benefit is worth the size, weight and expense.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 9:10 PM   #7

Image stabilization is important to me, however, the E-420 body only is about 13.7 oz. and the E-520 body-only is 16.8 oz...quite a difference. I have arthritis in my neck and shoulder due to many years of carrying camera and equipment...which is the reason the E-420 sounds better for me. That, of course, could change - - as I'm not purchasing a new camera quite yet...and am hopeful that one might be produced that has all my qualifications...maybe next year? or perhaps another camera (not Olympus) will fit my bill...
Old Oct 30, 2008, 10:01 PM   #8

suzalie wrote:
Quote:
Image stabilization is important to me, however, the E-420 body only is about 13.7 oz. and the E-520 body-only is 16.8 oz...quite a difference. I have arthritis in my neck and shoulder due to many years of carrying camera and equipment...which is the reason the E-420 sounds better for me. That, of course, could change - - as I'm not purchasing a new camera quite yet...and am hopeful that one might be produced that has all my qualifications...maybe next year? or perhaps another camera (not Olympus) will fit my bill...
If size is very important to you, the micro 4/3s cameras should be hitting the market next year, with the panasonic g1 and other olympus models, and even if they dont have a macro lens, you will be able to use regular 4/3s lenses there.

If you want something sooner, the 420 plus the 35mm macro or the 105 sigma (if you want a longer macro) are a good value and probably the lightest thing out there out now. Id even suggest the 70-300 as a cheap, versatile almost macro lens, but that would probably make it all too heavy.

dlpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2008, 10:07 PM   #9

In the same general neighborhood are the Sony A200 (18.8 oz.) and the new Pentax K2000 (18.5 oz.) (due out on 11/15.) They have better selections of available lenses and accessories. The Olympus dSLRs don't do well at higher ISO settings (which may or may not affect your macrophotography.)
Old Oct 30, 2008, 10:21 PM   #10

Image stabilization is a definite plus, but the most important feature for me is the weight of the body-only camera - - since once I add a lens, the weight
will, of course, increase. Any body-only cam over 16 oz. would really not
be my choice. I also have a bum right-hand thumb, so the grip would have
to be adaptable and comfortable to my small hands.

Olympus would be great, but if not Olympus, another D-SLR would suffice assuming I can find what I need.