Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 7, 2008, 10:45 AM   #11

Try to wear it out before you leave. Bring or buy a memory card. Bring a laptop with a card reader. Take a bunch of photos in the store, at a variety of settings, in a variety of lighting conditions, at a variety of apertures, shutter speeds, ISO settings,and focal lengths. look for any operating problems. Check the photos on your laptop for any abnormalities.

Or, better yet, take your business elsewhere.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 9:14 AM   #12

I am planning to buy a Canon XSi 450D. With this camera, I am getting a 18-55MM Lens in the kit. I just wanted to know what actually does this 18-55 MM means and more importantly, weather or not this lens has any zoom and if yes, how much.
go4saket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 2:18 AM   #13

Thank you everyone for all your valuable suggestions. I finally took a Canon EOS 1000D with a kit lens. I wanted to go for a 450D but it was going a bit above my budget, so went for 1000D as I am just a starter.

The first piece that I took had some defects and it was really nice of the seller who replaced the whole set after 5 days of my purchase.

What I couldnt understand is that after purchasing a sealed packed piece, when I took the first snap, it was numbered 879. I guess a new camera should start with 001.
Secondly, as the kit lens didnt had a IS, most of my pictures get shaked, may be because I dont have a very stable hand. Any recommendation for that.

Last but not the least, even after taking a picture from a tripod, the picture doesnt seem to be very sharp. What I mean is when I used to take pics from my old Sony P200 P&S, it used to capture amazing skin details which this camera doesnt. I believe a bigger sensor should capture much more details. Am I going wrong some where?
go4saket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 4:02 PM   #14

For the steady hand thing, breathe out (not in), then hold your breathe before taking a picture.
levander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 4:26 PM   #15

When I received my Canon XS (also know as the Canon EOD 1000D) it came with the new Canon 18-55IS lens.

Secondly, yes, you are correct 800+ seems to be a high count for a new camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote