Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 1, 2008, 2:16 AM   #1

Hi guys!

I am an absolute starter in the field of Photography. Infact I am not a photographer but like photography as a hobby, not profession. At present I have a Sony P200 P&S camera and am planning to buy a DSLR either from Canon or Nikon with a budget of Rs.20000 to Rs.30000 (400$ to 500$).

I prefer a Canon and want something that wouldnt be too difficult for a starter as well as something that can cater me even after I get some experience, not something that after some days of experience will give me an impression of a low end camera.

So all you experienced guys, please recommend me a good camera in this range.

Thanks.
go4saket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2008, 1:16 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I think prices in India are higher than the US, so it seems that there are only a few of the entry-level cameras that meet your price range:

Sony A200
Canon 1000D
Nikon D60
Olympus E520

All with the basic kit lens. The good news is that all those cameras are very nice and will keep you going for many years. You will not easily outgrow them.

I'm honestly not sure which one I'd go for; but the Canon doesn't come with an IS lens, the Nikon does, but it's the most expensive. The Olympus is fine and so is the Sony.

On balance I think I'd probably go for the Sony A200 - I think it has the best features for the lowest price and good image quality.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 4:32 PM   #3

Go4saket-

To save some $$ you might want to look at a used Nikon D-50. Even though it is 6mp it is still a great DSLR. Here is a photo sample.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2008, 8:34 AM   #4

Ok guys, I really appreciate all your help till now. I really wanted to take a Canon EOS 40D but it goes off my budget. So I guess I am left with only 3 models:

Canon EOS 1000D Rebel XS (Kit)
Canon EOS 450D Rebel XSi (Kit)
Nikon D60 (Kit)

Moreover, Canon cameras have CMOS sensor while Nikon has CCD. Which is better out of the two?

Now, please recommend me as to which is the best amongst these three.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 8:46 AM   #5

go4saket wrote:
Quote:
Ok guys, I really appreciate all your help till now. I really wanted to take a Canon EOS 40D but it goes off my budget. So I guess I am left with only 3 models:

Canon EOS 1000D Rebel XS (Kit)
Canon EOS 450D Rebel XSi (Kit)
Nikon D60 (Kit)
Of the three, I'd go with the Canon 450D. It's 12MP while the 1000D and Nikon D60are only 10, and it comes with a better kit lens than the D60,and it's stabilized. Plus, the Nikon has a much smaller selection of lenses that will autofocus on it.

go4saket wrote:
Quote:
Moreover, Canon cameras have CMOS sensor while Nikon has CCD. Which is better out of the two?
The differences are more theoretical than practical. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor#CCD_vs_CMOS

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2008, 10:03 PM   #6

Guys, in India, Canon EOS 450D Rebel XSi comes for Rs.44000 ($880) with bill and warranty and in Rs.32000 ($640) without bill and warranty. Now tell me, is it worth spending the extra amount for warranty or should I opt for one without warranty.

Going without warranty means as soon as I take the camera out of the store, its all my responsibility. As of now, I am planning to go for one without warranty as the price tag with warranty goes off my budget. So please also tell me as to what all things should I check and take care of before doing the payments.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 1:24 AM   #7
Super Moderator

All Canon cameras should come with a 1-year manufacturer's warrantee. Are you sure your shop isn't lying to you?

It's expensive electronic equipment, do you really want to take a chance on it not working when you walk out the door?

I don't know whether the reseller's are obliged to give you any service or what the consumer protection laws are like. Just be careful.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2008, 2:11 AM   #8

I know Canon had warranty but here in India, to save taxes and other stuff (Basically smuggled goods), they sell it at lower price without any warranty. It will be a brand new piece but no warranties...
Old Nov 7, 2008, 8:40 AM   #9

That's a lot of money to pay for something as complex as a dSLR, and not get a warranty. Does the store have a good return policy? I'd give it a thorough going over before I left the store with it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2008, 9:39 AM   #10

Return policy, my dear friend, the store wouldnt even entertain me as soon as I leave the store, forget about return policy.

As for checking the camera thoroughly, that is what I want to know. What are the things that I should check...