Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:28 PM   #1

I've narrowed my choices to the Cannon S5, SX10 and SX110 over the

G7 and G9 due to having the better optical zoom. Between those three

I can't decide which one. I initially wanted it for sports but realize none of these

will do the trick, other than that I would use it for everyday use, vacations, nature,

etc. Which would you choose?
jodiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2008, 1:37 PM   #2

The SX10 is the logical replacement for the S5, which has been discontinued.

The SX10 is special because it has a lens that is 28mm on the wide end, which is great for everyday use.

A 28mm lens comes in handy when your taking people shots, indoor shots, landscapes.

As for sports, you could make the SX10 work. Generally you want a camera that has very little shutter lag. Ideally you want a camera that is instantaneous.

However, with the SX10 you should be able to get single shots pretty responsively, or if you "pre-focus" the shot, a nearly instantaneous shot.

The SX10 doesn't have a good "frames per second" continuous shooting mode for sports - but to be honest I almost never use that feature and I've been shooting sports for five years.

If your on a tight budget but would like a better general photography tool with very little shutter lag, consider the Olympus E420 which is a budget
priced D-SLR.

Here's the review of the E420:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_..._e420_pg7.html

You can buy the E420 at B&H photo video with TWO lenses for $559. That's an incredible deal:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html

Anyways, I think the SX10 is a great point and shoot, and the E420 is an inexpensive jump up to the next level (a DSLR).

Either would suit their purpose well for you.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2008, 4:56 PM   #3

I would take the SX10 if I could also have a ultracompact as my "all day"camera. Keep in mind that you can nowget decent results with ultracompacts that are only $150 or so. But if it just has to be one camera, a compromise choice, then the SX110 hasreal appeal. I had a Canon S3, very similar to the S5, and the bulk and weight were a bother over the length ofahectic day.

casual Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 6:43 PM   #4

Downside of the SX110 is the 35mm limit at the wide end.

The SX10 has a 28mm wide angle lens.

I find having more wide angle makes the camera more "usable" in day to day shooting.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 8:47 AM   #5

Thanks for your reponses! So which camera would you say as the least amount of shutter lag? I would prefer Canon so I guess of those three would you suggest the SX10 or something else? I have a camera with 10X zoom now so would hate to really downgrade that either. Thanks again!
jodiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2008, 9:48 AM   #6

The SX10 has the Digic IV processor, whereas the SX110 has the Digic III.

I would assume the SX10 with the Digic IV processor would be faster and take better photos.

Combine that with the 28mm on the wide end, and your good to go.

Probably the only way to get a faster camera than the SX10 would be an inexpensive but fast digital SLR like the Olympus E420.