Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 2, 2008, 3:55 PM   #1

Hi, please help. Have spent so much time researching. Narrowed it down to:

Canon 40D, Canon 450D, Nikon D80 and Nikon D200. I have 2 Sigma slr AF lenses (for Nikon) but perhaps they will not be of much use…? I have limited budget and want a dslr which will go a long way and which can be used by an aspiring semi-pro / pro-sumer and later as back-up for a semi pro. The only one I can afford NEW is the 450D – since I have limited budget the kit lens should be quite good, I'll also buy a second lens etc. But I can get the 40D, D80 or D200 in good (used) condition, D200 is good but old and used by pro's so they may have worked hard. I'll appreciate advice from pros/semi-pros who knows these cameras and will give me unbiased adviseJ. The camera must have all the major features a semi-pro would need for landscape and studio. More than 3fps is not essential but it must be able to trigger studio lights etc. I believe good lenses are more important than the body and I realize that I'll need to stick to the brand I start off with…
chrisbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2008, 4:21 PM   #2
Administrator

Give us all of the info about the Sigma AF lenses (focal lengths from wide to long, aperture range from the front of the lenses). Chances are, they'll work on a D80 or D200 (but, they may or may not be good choices or worth much).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 5:19 PM   #3

Chris-

For what it might be worth, I think that the Canon XSi is a great camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 6:46 PM   #4

I think the XSi is the best DSLR out there for the money.

Virtually a semi-pro DSLR for just slightly more money than an entry level DSLR.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 7:14 PM   #5

Quote:
The camera must have all the major features a semi-pro would need for landscape and studio. More than 3fps is not essential but it must be able to trigger studio lights etc. I believe good lenses are more important than the body

Not sure what features are needed, huh?

Well, for studio work the lighting, accessories and lenses used are of far more importance. For landscape use, a good tripod/head and lenes again are of more import. Here, the camera can play a more prominant role - the quality of the pixels as well as the dynamic range are important.

Truth be told the 'semi pros' would be using full frame cameras like the 5d, d700 or a900 for these two types of photography. The wider angle of view, less pixel density and greater dynamic range being of great benefit for these types of photography.

From an image quality standpoint, the XSi is considered slightly better than the 40d. The D200 is a bit old in the tooth - I wouldn't trust a used version too much as it's likely got a lot of mileage on it.

But as mentioned the camera will be the least of your expenses - lenses, tripod, head, flash(es) / strobes / softboxes / beauty dishes etc will contribute far more than the camera body.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 10:56 PM   #6

Thanks to everyone for your input, keep it comming Jim, here are the detail of my slr lenses: Sigma 28-80mm AF 1:3.5-5.6 Macro, and Sigma 100-300mm AF 1:4.5-6.7 DL
Old Nov 2, 2008, 11:52 PM   #7

I'm heavily invested in Nikon equipment but I wanted a nice lightweight DSLR so I went with the XSi kit. I am really impressed with this camera and after comparing the lower priced options for quite some time I don't think there is anything that can touch it in that price range. Landscape colors are fantastic.
K6AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:22 AM   #8

Thanks for the positive feedback. Any shortcomings of the 450D? Is the kit lens okay?
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:57 AM   #9

I am using canon 7.1 mp digital camera with 1GB memory card and 45 min recording. I am very happy.

angelinalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2008, 8:28 AM   #10

chrisbos wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the positive feedback. Any shortcomings of the 450D? Is the kit lens okay?
The Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS is a substantial improvement over its predecessor. It is stabilized (IS), it is sharp, edge to edge, corner to corner, throughout its range, except at the long end at the minimum apertures. Chromatic aberration might be a little high at the wide end. Distortion and vignetting are reasonably good. All in all, a fine kit lenses.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote