Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 5, 2008, 9:57 AM   #1

Hi Guys,

I'm starting photography as my new hobby and am in the market for my very first DSLR.

After days of research and reading here at Steve's, I've finally decided to get a Nikon D90 (retracting from a D300 after reading a thread here - I'd rather invest on lenses ). HOWEVER, the price of the D90 here is like buying a D300 in Macau (talking about a ripoff)! Sad as I am I went and asked how much is the Canon 450D and it is almost half the price of the D90.

I am not sure if i'll be happy if I get the Canon because I really want a Nikon (it just somehow got into me and all the people around me use a Canon.) Problem is, I don't want to spend my hard earned money for that D90 thinking that I can get a D300 with that price!

Anyhow, I also want to know if a Canon lens will fit a Nikon? Or will I be stuck in the future with a Canon if I invest in Canon lenses?

Thanks.
daemonjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2008, 3:54 PM   #2

No, a canon lens will not fit a Nikon camera body. When you buy a dSLR, you're buying into a system. That's a commitment to a brand.

There are two advantages to buying into the same system that the people around you are using:
  1. You can ask them for help.[/*]
  2. You can borrow their stuff.
[/*]
I, for instance, own a Konica Minolta dSLR. One of my sons owns the Nikon D300. The other owns a Canon XTi. We can't share anything.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2008, 8:14 AM   #3

Oh I see. Thanks TCav. I think I better get the Nikon then since if I get a Canon I'm stuck with it.

I decided to go for the D90, have my brother buy it for me in Hongkong and ship it here in my place.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 8:50 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Well you don't necessarily get stuck forever. :-)

You can always sell things and buy new ones, but of course you do lose some money doing that.

It's also a little weird to hear someone worrying about being "stuck" with Canon. But hey if you want to be "stuck" with Nikon instead then go for it. :blah:
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2008, 8:26 PM   #5

daemonjin wrote:
Quote:
Oh I see. Thanks TCav. I think I better get the Nikon then since if I get a Canon I'm stuck with it.

I decided to go for the D90, have my brother buy it for me in Hongkong and ship it here in my place.
You are only "stuck with it" if you have heavily invested in accessories... like extra glass.

You could always buy the camera with kit lens (which are pretty good in terms of bang for the buck) and give the brand a try. Your investment would be minimal in that you could sell the used camera for a good % of your initial cost, or you could unload the camera to a good friend or family. If you don't have family or friends that will accept the free camera then you could donate it to my favorite charity... ME.

StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2008, 9:42 PM   #6

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Well you don't necessarily get stuck forever. :-)

You can always sell things and buy new ones, but of course you do lose some money doing that.

It's also a little weird to hear someone worrying about being "stuck" with Canon. But hey if you want to be "stuck" with Nikon instead then go for it. :blah:
Hehehe.. xD Well, i think it's just me. 'Cause here, where I am right now is a Canon land - means everyone uses a Canon. I just want to be different. :lol: