Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 5, 2008, 9:00 PM   #1

hey looking for a camcorder and I am stick between 2 of them. First a Sanyo Xacti HD1010 4MP MPEG4 high definition 1080i/1080p camcorder with 10x optical zoom, second a canon VIXIA HF10 flash memory high definition camcorder with 16GB internal flash memory and 12x optical image stabilized zoom. Not only do I want to get what I pay for but I want to know which will record the clearest and better quality. These are both between $600 to $700. Is there a newer or better option for this price, other than these two camcorders? Really stuck between both but I don't want to buy without really asking all my questions Thanks in advance, any advice will really help me out.

-Alma
MustangMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2008, 7:17 PM   #2

Are you looking for a two in one cam? because if you are, I would definitely go with the HD1010 because it's also a camera as well as a camcorder. stabilization isn't that great however, and I think there's a wobble effect to it, but its still nice, I bought one for my parents and they love it. The Canon also has a camera (3.1 MP) but I don't have any experience with it. It also has 24p which is awesome for the price of it, I'm pretty sure the stabilization is better since it's a Canon and it also already has memory built in. And, have you checked out vimeo? You can compare both cams in HD to see which one has the best quality. I'd personally go with the Canon especially if your gonna use it to travel and such like that.

Note:
I'm not quite sure yet if one can truly edit 1080p film so be wary.

I hope I helped out a bit.

Oh! I forgot to add my mantra with cameras: Whatever choice you make just remember it's not always about the camera, but the memories you make with it, so never feel like you should have gotten the other when you already have what you got :-)
squarenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2008, 10:51 AM   #3

Thanks for the tips! I made a choice last night to buy the Canon HG20... They had a pretty good price for it on Amazon and it has a 60GB hard drive which should be plenty of room. My current HD cam is an Aiptek action that does 1440 x 1080, but the color and picture I want is just not there. It also has focus issues when I don't have it on its tripod, I love what it does for what it costs, but it's not for me. Plus, I only have an 8GB SDHC card and it's not quite enough space.

I dont have time to be going to look at these cameras in person so I had to use everyone's advice and reviews to make my choice. I went from wanting the Sanyo HD1010, to comparing against the Canon HF10, then the HF100, and then learned about the HG20. I think I made a good choice (I hope) We'll see on Monday (1 business day shipping was only $3.99)!

Once again, thanks for the advice!

-Alma
MustangMan is offline   Reply With Quote