Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 9, 2008, 10:08 AM   #1

Currently using Fuji S9100 with 2GB, 4GB, 8GB and 16GB CF cards. Several sets of sanyo envelopes and several sets of 2900mha AA rechargeables. Also have sunpack superauto 383 flash. I also have access to a couple of xD cards but the total capacity might not be enough if the camera only uses xD cards.

With Circuit City and a couple other electronic places going out of businessnear whereI live, I am considering getting a D-S:R (on liquidation sale, when it starts)..... might be a change to get a D-SLR at a dirt cheap price.

Never used one before because I am afraid about getting the sensor full of smoke or dirt as I work around blood, smoke and such doing photos of fires, rescues and such. Also I tend to use the full range of my Fuji S9100 builtr in lenseoften going from 28mm to 300mm in the span of a short time. I am almost certain that an 18 - 55 or a 55 - 135 or even 70 - 200mm is not gonna have the range that I am used to now. ALso their are times I wish I had longer than 300mm zoom.

What would be a good camera or camera to look at and a good lense (s) that can cover a wide range of focal lengths. I need to be able to do distant workstaying back and capturing houses on fire, cars being cut apart at accident scenesas well as close up detail work.

I like my Fuji but I am looking for something that might be a notch better in image quality in lower light, higher resolution(Fuji S9100 is a 9MP camera)for cropping and blowing up images and faster buffer for multi fps shooting. Example of sropping I am after would be to take a full body shot of a person say at 200mm zoom and then be able to crop to just their head and get a 11 x 14 sharp print......

I'd use the camera 75% for shooting action fire-rescues, accidents and then investigative work following..... 15% large scale community events and 10% candid shots from distance etc

Also from what I have laid out would a D-SLR be good for me or would I be better with a new advanced bridge type camera (Fuji S9100 is considered a bridge camera).

Oh and budget is $800 for the entire package of whatever I will need to get started (batteries if it requires a pack, memory cards if not CF)........

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2008, 10:27 AM   #2

As I was reading your post, I was concerned about the requirement to use a dSLR in hostile enviroments, and was thinking that an ideal solution would be, not one, but two weathersealed Pentax K200Ds, each with an appropriate lens.

Then I got to the last line: "Oh and budget is $800 for the entire package ..."

If a liquidation sale permits you to get 2 K200Ds plus lenses for $800, CALL ME!!!
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2008, 11:28 AM   #3
Administrator

Photo 5 wrote:
Quote:
I like my Fuji but I am looking for something that might be a notch better in image quality in lower light, higher resolution (Fuji S9100 is a 9MP camera)for cropping and blowing up images and faster buffer for multi fps shooting. Example of sropping I am after would be to take a full body shot of a person say at 200mm zoom and then be able to crop to just their head and get a 11 x 14 sharp print......
If you crop a photo to make it look like you used twice as much optical zoom, you end up with 1/4 (not 1/2) the original pixels. So, if you cropped an image from a 12MP Camera with a 200mm lens so that it looked like you used a 400mm lens instead, you'd only have 3 Megapixels left over (which is going to be borderline for an 11x14 Inch print).

If you cropped a 12MP image so that it looks like you used 4 times as much optical zoom (more along what you're describing) you'd only have 1/8 the original pixels left, working out to about 1.5 Megapixels (not really good enough for an 11x14" print).

You're much better off buying a longer lens instead of cropping for print sizes that large.

If you want an "all in one" type lens for a dSLR with better range from wide to long than you have with your existing camera, I'd probably look at the Tamron 18-250mm f/3.5-5.6. If you used that lens on a model like a Sony A200 or Pentax K200D with an APS-C size sensor, you'd have the same angle of view you'd have using a 27-375mm lens on a 35mm camera (just multiply the focal length by 1.5x to see how they compare).

Quote:
...2GB, 4GB, 8GB and 16GB CF cards.
Note that the Sony dSLR models (A100, A200, A300, A350, A700, A900) can use CompactFlash.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2008, 2:15 PM   #4

Photo 5-

The Nikon D-50 is still available. You might be able to also pick up two D-50's.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2008, 2:48 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice. One thing I get the feeling you think I need two bodies. If you ever saw me in my work gear you'd understand that one camera body is about all I can handle at a time......

I will look at the Nikon D-50.

dave
Old Nov 9, 2008, 3:00 PM   #6

Your Fuji S9100 has a 35mm equivalent focal length of 28-300mm.

A Pentax K200D with a Tamron (or Pentax)18-250will give you a 35mm equivalent focal length of 27-375mm in a10MP, stabilized, weather-sealed body. However, thelens would beabout a full f-stop slower than what you're used to. Someone else will have to tell you if the Pentax can make up the difference with better high ISO performance that your Fuji.

You would lose 'Live View', though.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 3:44 PM   #7

T-Cav thanks for the info.

dave
Old Nov 9, 2008, 4:56 PM   #8

I would think that the K200 would definitely have less noise than your Fuji. Best to look at the sample pictures taken as part of the various reviews on-line (starting with Steve's is a good idea, but there are other sites that also carry full sized samples).

The Tamron lens seems to be the best of the all-in-one options at the moment. The lens isn't weather sealed like the camera is, but as long as you are careful with the join between camera and lens, you won't have any trouble (I've been out in the snow with a Pentax sealed camera and an old unsealed lens, kept the camera pointed down mostly under my jacket with the back exposed and didn't have a problem).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2009, 12:10 AM   #9

Odd that I'm just now thinking about it, but since this thread regards the Pentax K200D, maybe someone can nail it down for me.

I know it does not offer Live View, but does the K200D still display a histogram to check your shot before you shoot via the viewfinder? Steve's review on the camera indeed shows a luminosity and RGB histograms on playback (reviewing the photo), but not if one can see a luminosity histogram before taking the shot.
fotografo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2009, 5:38 AM   #10

No. The only time the K200D can display the available historgams is in Playback and Instant Review modes. That is, only after the image has been captured, not before.