Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 10, 2008, 9:59 AM   #1

I am now looking at the Sony A100 with an 18 - 200mm lens and also the A200 with 2 kit lenses. I have been using a Fuiji S9100 for almost 2 years. I shoot manily fire-rescue stuff as well as large community gathering and events with about 10% candid people shots. I know this might not be the correct answer but I want to start with just one all in one lens as I will be around smoke and blood etc and don't want to change lenses in the field so the 18-55 or 18-70mm kits are NOT gonna do it for me.

Is $699 (From Adorama)for the A100 D-SLR a good price with an 18-200mm lens included. I tried a friends Pentax last night and it is clear that I need an 18-200mm lens in order to do my primiary work load in the field.

Does anyone think the price night come down right after Thanksgiviing or would you order at this price now

I f I shoot between 800 and 900 images a day how many extra batteries should I pick up.

What would be the advances of stepping up to the A200 comes with adding another $125 to the price.

Thanks in advance for any info anyone posts
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2008, 10:10 AM   #2
Administrator

That 18-200mm lens has a poor reputation for image quality. The newer Tamron or Sony 18-250mm lens is much better.

As for the A100, it's an older discontinued model, and I'd probably go with the newer A200 instead. The A200 has much faster Autofocus and lower noise as ISO speeds are increased.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 10:15 AM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

As for batteries, you could probably get close to that many shots with one fully charged battery. I'd get a spare anyway.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 12:49 PM   #4

For your requirements and youbudget, the Sony A100/18-200 kit offered by Adorama is probably the best deal (unless those liquidation sales come through.) But I've used the 18-200 before and was not pleased with it. It is soft throughout its zoom range, suffers from significant optical distortion at the wide end, and significant chromatic abberation at the long end. (See SLRGear.com's test results.)

The 18-250 is a better lens, but not by much, andit's not part of any package.

As for batteries, the charger that comes with the A100 only has room for one battery. At the very least, I'd get a spare battery to keep in the charger while I had one in the camera. The AC Adapter/Charger can hold two batteries. Considering that a significant amount of your work can't be scheduled,I'd get the AC Adapter/Charger plus enough batteries to keep one in the camera plus one in each charging slot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote