Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 10, 2008, 2:40 PM   #1

I'm looking for a camera that will take great action shots of my daughter. It needs to have enough zoom to take pictures of her out on football field performing a drill team routine, while I'm sitting in the stands. Thanks.
MICKEYSARK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2008, 5:10 PM   #2

MICKEYSARK1 wrote:
Quote:
I'm looking for a camera that will take great action shots of my daughter. It needs to have enough zoom to take pictures of her out on football field performing a drill team routine, while I'm sitting in the stands. Thanks.
The Panasonic FZ28, Sony H50 and Canon SX10is are excellent ultrazooms that will enable you to take the long distance action shots you want. They aren't that great for indoor sports, however.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 9:08 PM   #3

AndyfromVA wrote:
Quote:
The Panasonic FZ28, Sony H50 and Canon SX10is are excellent ultrazooms that will enable you to take the long distance action shots you want. They aren't that great for indoor sports, however.
All are stabilized (something you'll need at longer focal lengths), and the Canon has a longer maximum focal length, which will come in handy as you shoot from the stands.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:12 AM   #4

OK, here's where compromises come into play. I'm going to make an assumption that this is HS varsity games under lights. If it is NOT at night under the lights then I agree with TCAV - the extra reach of the Canon is the way to go.

If it IS under the lights, here's where the issues come into play.

I would suggest 1/250 to be the mininmum shutter speed - you'll get motion blur in hands/feet/flags or rifles but that can't be helped.

Now, when I shoot HS football a typical exposure on the field under lights is 1/400 f2.8 and ISO 3200. So, 1/250 is a 2/3 stop difference. So if we drop the shutter by 2/3 stops we can drop the aperture by 2/3 stops down to f3.5

So, in those lighting conditions you could get a proper exposure at f3.5, ISO 3200 and 1/250.

Now, here's where the problems come into play:

1. NONE of these cameras have an f3.5 lens at full zoom. The Panasonic and Sony are 4.4/4.5 (2/3 stop difference). That means the best shutter speed you could get is 1/150. And, the Canon is actually 2/3 stops WORSE than that (f5.7) so the best shutter you'd get there is around 1/100. IMO, 1/100 is just too slow for acceptable shots. And you'll be pushing the IS to it's limits so in addition to motion blur you'll have camera shake as well. 1/150 isn't even that great.

2. All this is at ISO 3200. Make sure you look at low light shots of people from long distances (i.e. not portraits) and make sure you are comfortable with the quality out of these cameras. IMO, the quality isn't good enough but your opinion might be different.

Now, early on in the season you would have some daylight at halftime so you could get some shots. But not once it's dark at halftime. And, of course, if you're taking shots in daytime the above does not apply.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote