Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 11, 2008, 6:48 AM   #1

Hello, I have a Nikon P80 and I'm very disappointed because of two things: the lack of speed and the noise, is it worth it to swap it with the Panasonic FZ 28?:?
Mikoben is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:10 AM   #2

Mikoben wrote:
Quote:
Hello, I have a Nikon P80 and I'm very disappointed because of two things: the lack of speed and the noise, is it worth it to swap it with the Panasonic FZ 28?:?
There's probably not a "night and day" difference in noise performancebetween these two models. To be honest, if you are sensitive to noise of any sorts, these are not the type cameras you need to be buying. Get a Canon Rebel DSLR, a cheap super zoom and shoot everything to your hearts' contentup toISO 1600.

Neither are they a paradigm of speed in normal operation, but there are most likely things you can do to up the speed...it may be more trouble than you are willing to go through but as an example, I do happen to own the Panasonic FZ28. If I want to speed it up for action, I will manually set my exposures and pre-focus before pressing the shutter release. I did that for every shot I took in these two folders where I went to an NHL game one night and a college football game the other..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...02775584_nw73p

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...13856803_PzozR

Most all the files in those two groups give an idea of what the FZ28 is capable of at the higher ISO settings as the hockey shots are all at ISO 400 and the college football images were taken at either ISO 800 or 1600. If the noise in these images are excessive for your uses at these ISO settings, you need to forget the FZ28.

I do own a DSLR and could have had better results had I been able to get it in, but while waiting in line to get in to the abovefootball game, I saw stadiumsecurity send a lady back to her car because she had a Canon Powershot S5is digicam with the tele conversion lens mounted and they would not let her in with that tele lens. What do you think the chancesare they would have let me in with my DSLR and 70-300 tele zoom? Besides, the FZ28 weighs nothing and is an easy, fun camera to use. Much of the game it simply hung from my neck and never was an issue to keep up with unlike the DSLR, which can be a pain in this type setting.

Read the manual on your Nikon and figure out how to manually set some things when it makes sense to, play with the parameters such as noise reduction, contrast, etc., and see if you can figure out a group of settings that give a better output than the default settings, andplay with shooting and processingRAW if this camera has that option.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2008, 3:39 PM   #3

Thanks very much. i'll take your advice. What about the Canon 1000D? I don't remember the exact reference for America
Mikoben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2008, 3:46 PM   #4

Naturally, a consumer level DSLR will give you better IQ. However, the price is a bit more too.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote