Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 13, 2008, 8:28 PM   #1

Ok this is driving me crazy. I have studied and studied. It has come down to the Nikon d80 and Canon XSI. I was VERY close to buying the SonyA300today with 2 lens came to about 700 after taxes but decided against it because the sensor. My budget is around 800 with one lens. I will be getting, with either camera, 70-300 lens . Now I am into Airshows/avaition. I can get pretty close by the airport but I would like the 300mm for the airshows. I am obviously shooting a very fast object. I also do know those cameras aren't as fast as I need but that is all I can afford . So please help me decide. :?
all_natural25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2008, 9:11 PM   #2

Either camera will do OK. But the problem is the lens. For instance the canon 70-300 costs $540. So no way you're going to get the camera and lens for $700. You're going to have a challenge with budget lenses like the sigma or tamron because their focus drives are going to be lacking.

On the Nikon side, their 70-300 isn't a great performer. They have some other fabulous lenses but the 70-300 isn't one of them.

So it becomes a question of - do you save up longer so you can get a decent lens too? Or do you buy a budget lens and spend the $200 on it now realizing you'll have to replace it if you want better results.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2008, 9:40 PM   #3

Either camera will do OK. But the problem is the lens. For instance the canon 70-300 costs $540. So no way you're going to get the camera and lens for $700. You're going to have a challenge with budget lenses like the sigma or tamron because their focus drives are going to be lacking.

I said that wrong. I am getting a kit no more then 800 and then a lens on top of it. The nikon with the 18-135 or the Canon with 18-70 which I am hoping to find a deal around 700. I am good at finding deals lol

Either the ES 70-300 or the70-300vr.

Which camera has the better sensor? I know they have two different type of sensors but which one is the better one? I want the clearest picture possible with my budget.

On the Nikon side, their 70-300 isn't a great performer. They have some other fabulous lenses but the 70-300 isn't one of them.

It was either the 18-200 vr or the 70-300vr. (Really only looked into nikon then all of a sudden canon and sony got on my mind lol) the "cheaper" lens that I know I would want costs about 1500 and the one I need for what I want is about 5 grand AHHHH

So it becomes a question of - do you save up longer so you can get a decent lens too? Or do you buy a budget lens and spend the $200 on it now realizing you'll have to replace it if you want better results.

I am expecting toupgrade one day but right now not. I need a house and a job fiirst lol.. The airshow is in may so 1300 bucks is alot for me by then on top of it I have 3 kids and christmas is coming and then March April and May is a birthday.

My b/f doesn't get the whole camera thing but at the same time I dont get $400 bucks on a pair of sunglasses lol.

Thanks for any help
Old Nov 14, 2008, 10:03 AM   #4
Administrator

all_natural25 wrote:
Quote:
I was VERY close to buying the SonyA300today with 2 lens came to about 700 after taxes but decided against it because the sensor.
The A300 uses a Sony 10 Megapixel sensor. The Nikon D80 also uses a Sony 10 Megapixel sensor. Ditto for the Nikon D40x and D60 (they also use Sony 10MP sensors). The Pentax 10MP dSLR models also use Sony 10MP sensors (but, the newer K20D uses a Samsung 14.6MP sensor). Note that you'll see differences in image processing and noise reduction between models, even when they are using the same sensor (and most models have settings for noise reduction anymore, too).

Note that the Sony A200 is a less expensive option using a 10MP Sony sensor, and it's got a larger viewfinder compared to the A300. You don't get Live View with the A200 (but, you probably wouldn't want to use it for rapidly moving subjects anyway).

The Canon model you're looking at uses a Canon sensor. Canon manufacturers their own sensors for their dSLR models (but they use sensors from other manufacturers like Sony and Panasonic for most of their non-dSLR models).

Quote:

It was either the 18-200 vr or the 70-300vr. (Really only looked into nikon then all of a sudden canon and sony got on my mind lol) the "cheaper" lens that I know I would want costs about 1500 and the one I need for what I want is about 5 grand AHHHH
What lenses were you looking at? Sony's most expensive 70-300mm zoom lens lists for $749 right now. It's their 70-300mm f/4-5.6G SSM (which was designed to be a "best in class" lens). Their budget 75-300mm lists for $229. You also have choices available from third party manufacturers (Tamron, etc.), as well as used lenses in Minolta AF mount (any Minolta AF lens will work on a Sony dSLR). You were probably looking at high end (and very bright) primes. For example, the Sony 300mm f/2.8G sells for $5999.99. It's 4 times as bright as the lower grade lenses on their long end, with virtually flawless MTF charts (it's an *extremely* high grade lens). Note that f/2.8 is 4 times as bright as f/5.6, which is the widest available aperture you'll find on the long end of most lower priced 70-300mm lenses).

Also, keep in mind that you can use any Minolta Autofocus Lens ever made on the Sony models. You'll also find a variety of lenses from third party manufacturers like Sigma and Tamron available in Sony Alpha mount (a.k.a., Minolta A, Dynax, Maxxum mount). For example, in a higher grade lens, the Sigma 100-300mm f/4 is a popular choice (it's around $1099 now, and available for Nikon, Canon, Pentax and Sony dSLR models).

Quote:
I am expecting toupgrade one day but right now not. I need a house and a job fiirst lol.. The airshow is in may so 1300 bucks is alot for me by then on top of it I have 3 kids and christmas is coming and then March April and May is a birthday.
The market may change a lot between now and then (cameras and lenses available, prices on different models, etc.). But, it's probably a good idea to buy a camera kit ahead of time, so you'll become accustomed to it's behavior and learn to get the best out of it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 11:34 AM   #5

I would also like to point out that inexpensive lenses in that zoom range suffer from significant chromatic aberration at the long end, which is where I think you'll be spending a lot of time. So don't scrimp on that lens.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 1:46 PM   #6

TheIQ differencefrom sensorbetween the D80 and XSI isn't really going to be that great. Certainly not for what you want to do. Of FAR more impact will be focus performance and lens.

I would give focus performance edge to the XSi. But the edge is a small one. Build quality edge would go to the D80.

But the biggest difference is in the quality of available consumer grade lenses. Canon's 70-300 outperform's Nikon's. And there really isn't a third party lens on the market sub $600 that has both optical and focus qualities you'll want. The next step up in either system is probably the Sigma 100-300 f4 at $1000 or Sigma 50-500 (more reach but lesser IQ than the 100-300 - also one stop less aperture). In the Canon camp, the 300mm f4L prime ($1100) or 400mm 5.6 ($1100) then 100-400L ($1500) are the next logical steps up the food chain. Beyond that would be the 500 f4 or 600 f4 but that's some SERIOUS cash.

In the Nikon camp, I'm guessing the $5000 lens you're referring to is the 200-400. OUTSTANDING lens. Nothing in Canon's camp competes with it (i.e. 400mm zoom at f4). The 80-400 is, I'm guessing the other lens you're referring to. That's a lot of money for plastic. An really not as good as Canon's 100-400.

Bottom line - if you could afford a D700 or D300 and 200-400, Nikon would DEFINITELY be the way to go.

And if you could swing a $1000 sigma lens, the D80 might still be a great choice - with a future upgrade to the body for better focus performance.

But, with the money you have available, the XSi and Canon 70-300 gives you the best bang-for-the-buck. And the 100-400 is a stellar lens for airshows until you're ready to step up to the big primes (and the tripod/wimberly to use them).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 2:13 PM   #7
Administrator

I thought the OP was referring to the Sony lenses when mentioning those prices. ;-)

It was a bit hard to tell by the text ("the "cheaper" lens that I know I would want costs about 1500 and the one I need for what I want is about 5 grand AHHHH").

The new Sony 70-400mm f/4-5.6G SSM Super lists for $1,499, and Sony's 300mm f/2.8G SSM lists for $5,999. So, I thought that's what the prices were about (although the OP was only mentioning looking at 70-300mm lenses, which is what confused me, since the Sony 70-300mm f/4-5.6G SSM lens is listed at $749 now). lol Now, I'm not so sure what lenses were being looked at with those types of prices.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 8:42 PM   #8

Thank you everyone!! I am a blonde sometimes I confuse myself. I went to Berger Bros, which is a good camera place around me, and I decided on the XSI. It is light and they also said that for what i want the XSI would be better. The kit comes with 18-55IS lens

This is the lens I am talking about. I will be buying this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-70-300mm...192&sr=8-1

My computer is broke or I would search for the really expensive lens I was talking about. On the search for a computer too. My poor boyfriend is going to be broke lol

Old Nov 14, 2008, 8:45 PM   #9

Something you should also keep in mind about sensors and that is high ISO performance. Of the cameras you listed the Canon (IMO) has least noise at high ISO settings of the bunch. Being able to use high ISO is a big plus in shooting in early morning, late afternoon or those dull overcast days.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 8:51 PM   #10

all_natural25 wrote:
Quote:
This is the lens I am talking about. I will be buying this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-70-300mm...192&sr=8-1
Good choice.

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...uct/253/cat/11

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/20...report--review
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote