Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 15, 2008, 6:51 PM   #11
Administrator

If you visit our Canon EOS dSLR Forum, you can probably get some tips from Canon users.

Any camera will take a bit of time to get used to, as they all tend to behave a bit differently (metering, Autofocus, etc.). I'd probably use it for a while to get a feel for it's strengths and weaknesses before spending a lot of money on extra lenses, etc. That way, you can make better informed decisions on what you may need to improve. You're more likely going to be the limiting factor for a while, versus the camera or lens you're using.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2008, 8:36 PM   #12

A few points:
*) Folks above have made sense
*) There are no really bad dSLRs
*) Price is the best indicator of quality/features/BulletProofness
*) Any sales worker who bad mouths specific brands and/or promotes a specific brand should not be trusted. They could very easily have something to say once they have listened to your specific requirements, but if they start badmouthing before listening, it is a good time to start shopping elsewhere. And even then, they should talk about specific models, not whole brand lines. Look them square in the eye and ask how much more they are being paid to sell a specific brand. Then turn and walk out.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2008, 9:44 PM   #13

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
*) Any sales worker who bad mouths specific brands and/or promotes a specific brand should not be trusted.
(Sorry to be off-topic) This is a very good point. It's not just cameras, but also the well known PC vs Mac, and even coffee machine brands.

For me, if I like one brand, I tend to stick with that brand. I do recommend to my friend on the brand I like, careful not to badmouth brands I don't like. It is not saying that I won't switch brand, but there got to be a good reason for me to switch.
antony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2008, 3:15 PM   #14

I went to the local store and handled the EOS 450D. I definatly made the right decision and luckily won the auction for $560.00 with the 18-55mm lens kit.

Thanks to everyone on here for helping me make the right decision. I'll be sure to check out the EOS threads!
mattedwardsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 7:55 PM   #15

glad you like it!
professional_ameteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 8:51 PM   #16

The 450D is a great camera.

I've had my Canon 20D for four years and I still get a thrill from it.

I know the 20D so well, it's like an old friend every time I pick it up.

Probably my two favorite consumer items of all time is my Mac Mini and my 20D - both classics.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote