Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 16, 2008, 8:12 AM   #1

i own a dmc-tz3 ( http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...sonic_tz3.html )which have 28mm wide angle lens, and i love wide angle photos. ( i wanna capture very wide something like -3x zoom. (: but without fisheye effect!.. )

i bored from taking four pictures and merging them in ps. to get a one wide picture ( not panoramic )

28mm is pretty wide but now i am looking for a wider one. is there any compact camera wider then 28 milimeters?

Attached Images

thisiswhatisthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2008, 1:29 AM   #2

Cameras as wide as 24mm are available, such as the Panasonic LMC LX3, but 24mm is going to be NOT wide enough per your demonstration. I am not aware of any P&S from any brand that is wider than 24mm. Not saying that it can't or won't be done, but these camera companies share so much technology that the feature set in one brand is common to many other brands

Your comment about -3x zoom is interesting. Assuming Normal to be 50mm, -3x would be approximately 16mm, and 16mm equiv (35mm speak) would be a 10 or 11mm wide angle for the typical dSLR.

If you want to shoot that wide, I would suggest you look at a dSLR. Your comment about -3x, assuming 50mm to be normalwould equate to about 16mm for full frame dSLR or 10/11mm on the typical (non-full frame) dSLR.

StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 1:30 AM   #3

PS, is the picture of Instanbul?
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 2:43 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Unfortunately you will have to get a DSLR camera and a wide lens to capture that kind of view.

Costs a bit more, but it depends on how much your time with PS is worth to you. :-)

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 3:08 AM   #5

Samsung has a wide angle compact camera, the NV24HD, which costs about half as much as the LX3. Of course, most people will tell you that the LX3 takes better pictures.

A second, non-DSLR option is to buy a camera with built in stitching. Some of the Kodaks do that.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 5:07 AM   #6

@StevieDgpt

lx3 looks great but as i see even 24mm will not be enough for me. and thanks you understand what exactly i meant by -3x zoom : )

so its time to move on to dSLR..

yes the pictures is from istanbul. thats what i see when i look out from the window : )

@peripatetic

when i calculate the worth of the time i spend in PS will probably not reach a price of dSLR camera. but i will think about it : )

@robbo

samsung looks great too. and it also can capture hd videos! so maybe i can get red if of my hd700 and tz3 in the same time. thanks for your recommendetions.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 5:19 AM   #7

by the way. the image quality of lx3 is totally amazing!
Old Nov 22, 2008, 3:11 PM   #8

the Canon SD500 at 37mm at the wide end, only takes about 1/3 of the frame (both horizontally and vertically) of a dSLR with a very wide angle lens 10-17mm FE (180 degrees)
Attached Images

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote