Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 19, 2008, 5:42 AM   #1

I'm looking into buying the SX10 as an early Christmas present for myself and I was wondering what you're thoughts on this camera is? or you're suggestions for another camera, I'm looking into becoming a photographer, and I'm still learning, but lots of zoom, picture quality and speed are probably my biggest concerns! Please help!

TIA,

Amber
SouthernStar14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2008, 9:12 AM   #2

Amber-

The photo samples that I have seen on other websites are not very encouraging at all. The IQ is at best good under proper lighting, but the IQ falls substantially when the ISO is increased.

My suggestion, if you are interested in a bridge camera is to check out the Panasonic FZ-28 and the Sony H-50.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 3:41 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply, I had looked at the sony, but i was really hoping for the 20x of the canon compared to the sonys 15x.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 8:37 PM   #4

I, too, was drawn too the 28-560mm zoom range of the Canon. However, I went to local store and handled it and took some pictures. Having looked at them on screen later, and then having seen the FZ28's pictures, I think the FZ28's image quality is better. Less noise, less distortion, and less purple fringing. What I do like about the S10 IS, besides the zoom range, is the hotshoe for external flashes.

You might be happy with either. See if you can go your hands on them, and judge for yourself.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 9:13 PM   #5

I just read an interesting head-to-head comparison between the SX10is and the FZ28. The Canon did better in certain respects, including picture quality (somewhat), but the Panasonic was better in other respects. The overall verdict was a tie.
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ca...rShot_SX10_IS/
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 8:56 PM   #6

AndyfromVA wrote:
Quote:
I just read an interesting head-to-head comparison between the SX10is and the FZ28. The Canon did better in certain respects, including picture quality (somewhat), but the Panasonic was better in other respects. The overall verdict was a tie.
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ca...rShot_SX10_IS/
Thank you for that link! It was really helpful!