Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 20, 2008, 12:15 PM   #1

Hi everyone,

I don't own any camera period... been considering buying a digital camera for awhile to have for normal everyday use, family photos, out & about photos around the city... of nature, sites, etc.... I can basically use my airmiles to get my choice of the following cameras basically for "free"...

I'd like to pick something with the best picture quality I can get (video recording too), solid ability to get "nature/outdoor" shots from a little ways away (like animals) so that'd be good zoom ability, and just have some solid features/durability like maybe coming with a rechargable battery, good burst shooting, image stabilization is a big want because I'm in a wheelchair so holding/shooting the camera steady can get a bit tricky at times... I figured 10 megapixels were pretty much going to be standard in the next bit....

I'll never be a pro photographer but I'm a gadget/technology guy so I like getting something "good" if I'm going to buy anything...

My choices off my airmiles site for "brand names" (excluded Pentax, Panasonic & Samsung cameras) are as follows:

Canon PowerShot SD790 IS Digital ELPH (is listed in Ultra-Compact Pocketable best pics)

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W170 (version DSC-W150 is listed in Ultra-Compact Pocketable best pics)

Kodak EasyShare 10.0MP M1033

Kodak EASYSHARE Z1085IS 10.0MP (version Z1012IS is listed in Super Zoom best pics)

Nikon Coolpix 12.1MP P5100 (version P5000 is listed in Prosumer best pics)

Fujifilm FinePix S1000fd 10.0MP (a couple in Super Zoom with similar nomenclature, S700 & s8000fd)

So I'd really appreciate any opinions, suggestions, or personal experienvce with any of the above cameras... thanks! :-)

Rob
Mysterious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2008, 2:58 PM   #2

Long zoom seems to be very important to you, but the only long zoom camera on your list is the Fuji S1000fd. The Fuji is OK but isn't considered one of the top ultrazoom point and shoots.

If long zoom were not an issue, the cameras on your list that I think are the best overall are the Canon SD790is and the Sony DSC W170.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2008, 3:14 PM   #3

AndyfromVA wrote:
Quote:
Long zoom seems to be very important to you, but the only long zoom camera on your list is the Fuji S1000fd. The Fuji is OK but isn't considered one of the top ultrazoom point and shoots.

If long zoom were not an issue, the cameras on your list that I think are the best overall are the Canon SD790is and the Sony DSC W170.
Well, if I could get something that could have good length that'd be a bonus... but overall pic quality and features are tops... I have limited knowledge of how much zoom your average camera will provide and give decent resolution. So better zoom would be a bonus, but its a lower ranking feature in terms of overall package.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 5:30 PM   #4

Mysterious,

Quite a collection and variety! Tough to compare everything from an ultracompact to an SLR-like camera.

Listen...you don't have a camera...you're getting one for nothing - don't agonize over a pick. You want to take pictures of animals...you have limited mobility - unless the animals are pets standing within 50 feet of you, you're not going to get acceptable pics with anything less than a 300mm lens...and even that can leave you disappointed in many cases. The Fuji goes from 33 to 396mm - that will give you enough reach to get that bird sitting way up in the tree. As Andy suggested, the Fuji isn't the pick of the litter - but it does have a lot of features, such as a fairly fast lens, aperture and shutter priority settings, an EVF, and it takes AA batteries (you'll want to buy a few NiMH's and a charger) which are readily available and inexpensive.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your decision.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2008, 8:15 PM   #5

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
Mysterious,

Quite a collection and variety! Tough to compare everything from an ultracompact to an SLR-like camera.

Listen...you don't have a camera...you're getting one for nothing - don't agonize over a pick. You want to take pictures of animals...you have limited mobility - unless the animals are pets standing within 50 feet of you, you're not going to get acceptable pics with anything less than a 300mm lens...and even that can leave you disappointed in many cases. The Fuji goes from 33 to 396mm - that will give you enough reach to get that bird sitting way up in the tree. As Andy suggested, the Fuji isn't the pick of the litter - but it does have a lot of features, such as a fairly fast lens, aperture and shutter priority settings, an EVF, and it takes AA batteries (you'll want to buy a few NiMH's and a charger) which are readily available and inexpensive.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your decision.

the Hun
Hmmm, interesting perspective... I can get around better than you'd think but yah there'll be no mountain climbing... lol.... grass, dirt, is managable so long as its not heavily uneven....

So you're of Andy's mind that the other cameras are better quality but for long distance zooming in the Fuji has more capability.... hmmm...

out of curiousity, what would be "the pick of the litter" for non-true SLR camera that had really good zoom? :|(I can use my airmiles for other stuff if the best buy in my interests means buying something not off airmiles... just want to consider my options.)

I'm not trying to "agonize" over it, I just like feeling like I've made an informed purchase/selection. :G
Old Nov 20, 2008, 8:21 PM   #6

In my opinion, the three best superzoom (non SLR) cameras for $350 or less are the Canon SX10is, the Sony DSC-H50 and the Panasonic DMC-FZ28.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 9:30 AM   #7

thanks for the replies... I'll do a little research based on your suggestions
Old Nov 21, 2008, 10:48 AM   #8

The new Canon SX110 ISis a very nice compromise on the zoom deal. It will go out to 360mm. Good enuf for the zoo or tame critters.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 12:03 PM   #9

"So you're of Andy's mind that the other cameras are better quality but for long distance zooming in the Fuji has more capability.... hmmm... "

No, that's not what Andy said - what he said was, "The Fuji is OK but isn't considered one of the top ultrazoom point and shoots."

Since there are no other ultrazooms in your original list, neither he nor I was trying to insinuate that any of those other cameras have better image quality than the Fuji.

If you want to deviate from your list, take a look at the Fuji S100fs.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 9:49 PM   #10

KCook wrote:
Quote:
The new Canon SX110 IS¬*is a very nice compromise on the zoom deal.¬* It will go out to 360mm.¬* Good enuf for the zoo or tame critters.

Kelly Cook
I was looking at the sx110 tonight at futureshop...its a definite consideration/contender at the moment