Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 21, 2008, 7:37 PM   #1

Fuji J150 vs canon SD880 vs Pani FX-37, FX500 or TZ5

I am looking for a wide angle ultracompact or compact P&S with good ISO/low light performace. Bigger zoom is better aslong as it is still pocket size. Price is not a big issue as long as it is under $400. Also would like to get good Picture quality, red reductionand shake reduction.

Your input on these option will be appreciated but I am open to other options too if you have other cameras which will fit my criteria. Pixel count is not an issue. If anything I think these cameras have way too many already.

harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2008, 8:10 PM   #2

You've got lots of choices.

For me, having 28mm or wider at the "wide" end is very useful.

I quite like the specs of the SD880 as you've most wisely put in your list.

Here is Steve's review of the SD880 - it's on his recommended list.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_...sd880_pg5.html

Sells for $253.95 at BH photo video:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...S_Digital.html
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2008, 1:02 AM   #3

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
You've got lots of choices.

For me, having 28mm or wider at the "wide" end is very useful.

I quite like the specs of the SD880 as you've most wisely put in your list.

Here is Steve's review of the SD880 - it's on his recommended list.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_...sd880_pg5.html

Sells for $253.95 at BH photo video:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...S_Digital.html
I like SD880 too but what about low light performance at high ISO and IQ? 4X wide lens is good but longer zoom will be even better...
Old Nov 22, 2008, 9:15 AM   #4

Nice list. However I would replace that Fuji J150 with the Fuji F100fd.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:01 AM   #5

KCook wrote:
Quote:
Nice list. However I would replace that Fuji J150 with the Fuji F100fd.

Kelly Cook
Thanks! Can you shed some light on each one's low light performance and IQ? And which one would you pick and why?:?:?
Old Nov 22, 2008, 7:47 PM   #6

There are features to like for each of these. And gotchas. The Panny TZ5 is not my flavor, too much of an auto-shooter. The FX35/37/500 control designsovercome that objection. But reviews have been lukewarm to each of those. My current camera is a Fuji, so I'm disappointed to see that the F100fd is rather ssslllloooww. By elimination that leaves the Canon SD880 IS. As Terry already pointed out, glowing review here at Steves site. Which does count for a lot. I'm still not thrilled with the design of the SD880. The oversize buttons on the back make it look toy-like. Canon designers buried the EV+/- control in the menus. A mistake the other companies avoided. But its performance sweeps all that aside. SD880 wins (in my book).

Kelly
Old Nov 22, 2008, 9:28 PM   #7

KCook wrote:
Quote:
There are features to like for each of these. And gotchas. The Panny TZ5 is not my flavor, too much of an auto-shooter. The FX35/37/500 control designsovercome that objection. But reviews have been lukewarm to each of those. My current camera is a Fuji, so I'm disappointed to see that the F100fd is rather ssslllloooww. By elimination that leaves the Canon SD880 IS. As Terry already pointed out, glowing review here at Steves site. Which does count for a lot. I'm still not thrilled with the design of the SD880. The oversize buttons on the back make it look toy-like. Canon designers buried the EV+/- control in the menus. A mistake the other companies avoided. But its performance sweeps all that aside. SD880 wins (in my book).

Kelly
Thanks for the detailed information. I like Canon SD880IS but I wish it came with 10x zoom. Are there any good compacts with 10x zoom? Whatis wrong withPanny TZ5? How about 10x zoom compact from another brand with good features and IQ?:?
Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:26 PM   #8

The Panny TZ5 is quite good. I simply expressed a personal preference, and there is no reason to expect any agreement on that. Here is a link to another thread that talks about the TZ5 -

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=87

Kelly
Old Nov 23, 2008, 10:30 AM   #9

KCook wrote:
Quote:
The Panny TZ5 is quite good. I simply expressed a personal preference, and there is no reason to expect any agreement on that. Here is a link to another thread that talks about the TZ5 -

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=87

Kelly
I get it and I am fine with personal preferences. Are there other 10x wide compact zoom P&S camera which are newer and better IQ?
Old Nov 23, 2008, 12:17 PM   #10

Not at this time, that I know of. The Canon SX110 has the zoom but not the 28mm WA. There are some SLR-types with such a lens, but I don't consider those to be compacts. If you want to get fussy about it some folks favor the TZ4 over the TZ5. Specs for the two are similar on many points.

Kelly