Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:49 PM   #1

I have been using a Canon S2 IS and a Fuji S700. I want to move beyond a P & S camera now. I have been looking at the Nikon D80 and Canon XTI. I'm not even sure about what is in the Olympus arena. My budget is in the $400 to $600 for a camera body (maybe a little more for the right camera).

I take a lot of outdoor photographs; landscapes, wildlife, insects, birds, plants. So, my camera (and eventually lenses) will need to be able to take decent macro as well as distant shots. I know lenses will play a big part in that, but which camera will give outdoor photos the best starting point?

Thanks in advance
joest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:09 PM   #2

Just my personal opinion, but I think the Pentax dSLR cameras really shine for landscapes - I use mine for landscape and macro mostly. But all dSLR cameras will work very well for this. The K20, a 14 mp weather sealed camera isn't that much above your body price - it's significantly cheaper than what I paid for mine a year ago! Definitely good value. The K200, which is also weather sealed would be within your price range. The new K2000 is only sold in a kit with the kit lens and a flash, a nice value but not as good a deal as either the K200 or K20 at the moment. I do a fair amount of hiking and snow shoeing so I appreciate the weather seals (it isn't completely waterproof, but the seals protect the camera from dust and rain pretty well).

Best thing to do is go to a camera store and actually handle the cameras. They are all different sizes and shapes and some cameras will feel more comfortable to some people, but not to others. Make sure that you can reach all of the controls.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:35 PM   #3

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Just my personal opinion, but I think the Pentax dSLR cameras really shine for landscapes - I use mine for landscape and macro mostly. But all dSLR cameras will work very well for this. The K20, a 14 mp weather sealed camera isn't that much above your body price - it's significantly cheaper than what I paid for mine a year ago! Definitely good value. The K200, which is also weather sealed would be within your price range. The new K2000 is only sold in a kit with the kit lens and a flash, a nice value but not as good a deal as either the K200 or K20 at the moment. I do a fair amount of hiking and snow shoeing so I appreciate the weather seals (it isn't completely waterproof, but the seals protect the camera from dust and rain pretty well).

Best thing to do is go to a camera store and actually handle the cameras. They are all different sizes and shapes and some cameras will feel more comfortable to some people, but not to others. Make sure that you can reach all of the controls.
Thank you mtngal. I checked both the K20 and the K200. The K200 looks especially promising. Within my budget and good reviews. I also like that it uses AA batteries and SD cards. Weather resistant, 10.2 MP and nice photos. Thanks again for the recommendation!

joest is offline   Reply With Quote