Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 23, 2008, 4:10 PM   #1

Hi!

This is my first post since 2005 =) Time flies.

Im looking for a camera that can take decent video, without that much noise. I do not care at all about its function as a camera ( I use a 40d normally ).
Zoom is not that interesting either, just to record movies , with sound.

I checked the canon a470 but there was to much noise. On the other hand it was really cheap. I checked the reviews but as there are no price indications on the first page its a hazzle to go back and forth at random.

So if anyone happens to know a cheap camera that has a decent video quality I would be most greatful.
pellepiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2008, 11:40 PM   #2

pellepiano wrote:
Quote:
....Im looking for a camera that can take decent video, without that much noise. I do not care at all about its function as a camera ( I use a 40d normally )...
Depends what you mean by cheap, but a camcorder, not a 'camera' is possibly the tool for the job. I see video and stills as quite different tasks, but note that size & weight are very important to me as well as quality (e.g., I use a Kodak superzoom rather than a dSLR).

You'll have to decide whether you want or need HD to show on your HDTV. That's very heavy indeed on storage, and tiny devices are likely to use lots of compression, with consequent loss of quality. As you use the word 'cheap' I'll talk about conventional TV video.

You have to decide what medium to use to record the video. 'Cameras' as opposed to camcorders will use memory cards, with restricted space. Camcorders will use DVC tape (digital video cassette tape), mini DVD, or hard disk. You can transfer the recordings via a PC (a big and powerful one), or direct to a DVD recorder. The 'noise' will be a function of how much compression you use, the less the better. That's why a more extensive recording medium has morepotential than memory cards.

I bought a little Samsung 371W usingDVCin August to replace my trusty, elderly, Sony Video 8 analogue camcorders. It cost me only 139 ukpounds at the time. This will probably be smaller and lighter than your 40D, and fits in a tiny 'bum bag' round my waist.

Until recently DVC models represented the best compromise between quality and value for money, but the hard disk-based models may have caught up by now. I am very pleased with the sound and video quality for recording family musical performances, even via the built in microphones, which will be much larger than those on a still camera.

Good luck!

My local camera shop discusses these issues reasonably clearly, with mini-reviews, at...
http://www.wrexcam.com/camcorder.htm
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 2:47 AM   #3

Thank you for your answer. I was not to detailed I see now.
I

I want a camera that takes SD or CF cards, 640x480 is good enough. Preferrably that saves in MP4 or other format that makes the recording time longer ( with decent quality ).
I dont need zoom and the camera part can be real crappy, I dont care =) as long as it can produce a not to noisy image at its best.

I am just going to use it to record my photosessions on location.

But I guess the best thing for me is to bring a SD and CF card to a big store and record some video on them, go home and check the quality, and then decide.
pellepiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 3:02 AM   #4

pellepiano wrote:
Quote:
....bring a SD and CF card to a big store and record some video on them, go home and check the quality, and then decide.
Yes, exactly. I always advise folk to try a camera in a shop, so I should have remembered to say that!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote