Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 27, 2008, 10:48 AM   #11

There are now a few interesting video-tests of the FZ28 available on YouTube:

Check outthis one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iJo0...layer_embedded

)
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 12:34 PM   #12

been looking at more reviews, including the above link (thanks)... such a hrd choice...

the Sony, I dislike that you use the sony memory sticks, not sd cards or the other common kind...blanking on their name.... really like the remote idea

the sx10 supposedly suffers from image fringing... i'm having trouble getting good examples where its noticeable but it seems a popular knock... really like the articulated screen... no RAW movies are not hd but look pretty good w/ stereo sound

the fz28 apparently is less expensive, but less zoom... the images seem pretty good... has raw for + hd movie

looked at that fuji... the extended lense makes size an issue, and damn its expensive, more than the sx10 :? but looks solid

still thinking... still considering
Mysterious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 1:55 PM   #13

Mysterious wrote:
Quote:
...such a hrd choice...

still thinking... still considering

You are apparently afraid of choosing the "wrong" camera - or so it seems.

Don't!

All of the 3 contenders you mentioned, are good cameras. Either go for the camera that your "gut" tells you, youwill like - or - go to a camera-shop where all of the 3 cameras are on stock and ask them to let you hold them in your hand.

By feeling the cameras in your hand, you will automatically feel which one "fits" you.Buy theone - and don't everlook back!

Just enjoy your new purchase and then stop reading reviews of, or compare to, other cameras!

)

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 2:10 PM   #14

If low light level shots at high ISO numbers is a priority on your list, the Panasonic FZ-28 is the clear winner. I also own and use the Oly SP-560, and the Sony H-50. Among them in my opinion the FZ-28 is the winner.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 6:21 PM   #15

check out the panasonic point and shoot forum here on steves
you will be quite impressed with samples from the FZ28
you may also ask users their opinions
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2008, 4:29 AM   #16

deterpawson wrote:
Quote:
check out the panasonic point and shoot forum here on steves
you will be quite impressed with samples from the FZ28
you may also ask users their opinions

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Most of them vote for Panasonic FZ28, :?but if we look at the samples images (with out any filters, lens etc...) then , i dont think the images are sharp and crisp as SX10 or H50. ( Please compare the telephoto of Steve review of H50 and FZ28)

Peoplepost their viewsvery much in detail like,Noise level, colour fringing etc, but these things does not matter unless you are a Professional photographer. Most of the people dont print large size photos, so in my opinion SX 10 and H50 still produces better images without any post processing.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I am not a professional photographer, Please correct me if i am wrong.
srikanth.murlidhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2008, 6:30 AM   #17

If you're going for a superzoom, presumably size & weight are important to you.

If you can overcome your prejudices, the Kodak range, especially the Z1012is, are worth a look. I've just bought one (direct from Kodak, very cheaply), as a long-term backup for my Z712is. It's smaller and much lighter than the competitors, with an excellent lens (for this type). The 1012, through the addition of a couple of bits of rubberised grip, feels much more expensive than its predecessors.

My trusty advisor in the local camera shop (who try out all the models), have stopped offering the Kodak Z1012 because they can't get them from their suppliers. They are recommending the SX-10, and, amazingly, the old 7Mpix Panasonic FZ-8 as their 'budget' superzoom. He says, though, they're too expensive for what they are, understandsmy choice of the Kodak, and even told me a big-name outlet in town where I could have got my Kodak cheaper (but without its dedicated battery).

The Kodak has full manual control, of which I have availed myself several times already, plus a quite excessive load of fancy image processing, which I shall never use.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2008, 9:51 AM   #18

I'm a research junkie so I like reading up on anything before buying, decoiding what features I want most.

I'll look at the Kodak... and the decidates forums on Steves for pics

I noticed this site has a night comparison charting system to put caneras head to head to head for their details... this was a 3 cam on sx10, h50, fz28... look under buying guides

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...8&show=all

Is Canon burst mode really on 0.7fps? That's slow :O
Old Nov 28, 2008, 2:30 PM   #19

Mysterious wrote
Quote:
is Canon burst mode really on 0.7fps? That's slow :O
The continuous mode is 1.4 images per second. That what the specs say and that's what I measured mine at. There are two other modes which can make it 0.9 or 0.7.

Rich

Poncho_48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2008, 11:11 PM   #20

thanks for the info