Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 24, 2008, 3:58 PM   #1

Canon SX10
Sony DSC-H50
Panasonic DMC-FZ28

These seems to be the top super zoom cameras... the only feature diffs that standout to me is the Sony comes w/ a remote and the Canons LCD screen flips out and then reverses flips back in to protect the screen... all seem popular... whats everyone list these in order of best buy?

If I go for a really nice camera I think these 3 are front runners... I really want a remote but the Canon flip lcd appeals to me from a "protection/flexibility" standpoint... fz28 seems like a good choice too...

what do all of you like the most? I've been trying to read reviews but the topic of best picture quality seems pretty subjective...
Mysterious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2008, 6:17 PM   #2

I am axious for some "professional" input on this as well. I posted a similar question over a month ago, and there were a number of folks that favored the Panasonic. I have always been a Sony/Canon guy but I don't know my rear from 3rd base. It is funny, I have pros and cons on both the Sony and Canon. My guess is either are very good cameras. My past experience is the Sony seems to historically be more "robust" in terms of speed but I like you like the screen on teh canon where you can close it when not in use. So, experts, respond, please!!
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 7:50 PM   #3

"These seems to be the top super zoom cameras..."

C'mon...as long as you're discussing the "top" super zooms, don't leave out Fuji. The S100fs has a lot of features and advantages over the three you've listed...it has:

A manual zoom ring - once you use a camera with one, you will never want to go back to a toggle switch zoom again (It also has a manual focus ring).

A 2/3" sensor - more than twice the surface area of the other three.

11.1 MP, with a pixel density of 19MP/cm² (the highest resolution, with the lowest pixel density by far)

3 fps continuous shooting at maximum resolution (up to 7 frames)...7 fps at reduced resolution.

Extended dynamic range (up to 400%).

Film simulation modes (3).

A tiltable LCD.

A Hot shoe.

Remote control (optional)

30 sec to 1/4000 sec shutter speed

Face detection

RAW capable

Think it's worth considering?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 9:41 PM   #4

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
"These seems to be the top super zoom cameras..."

C'mon...as long as you're discussing the "top" super zooms, don't leave out Fuji.* The S100fs has a lot of features and advantages over the three you've listed...it has:
I was listing 3 I saw most talked about to some extent... had not looked at that one, seems really good too, happy to add it to the discussion mix :G ... I take it its your fav pick?
Old Nov 24, 2008, 10:06 PM   #5

If I were in the market for a super zoom today, it would be my first choice.

the Hun

Old Nov 24, 2008, 10:14 PM   #6

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
If I were in the market for a super zoom today, it would be my first choice.

the Hun
I was looking at it just now, its clearly a beautiful camera.... this might sound funny though, because I know it should be a big plus, but the long lense is actually a bit of a detractor to me... only in that I'm hoping to get a camera that when shut off is a it more compact/space consciousthat I can stick in my backpack.... the others despite being obviously bigger than compact cams are more compact in that the lenses telescope back imnto the cam..... clearly tho this is a beginners preference as opposed to an enthuist who sees/understand the benefits you were pointing out and has no issue with that.... tho it is a beauty... I'm going to look round town to see if theres one I can look at close up....

thanks for the input tho.... as a camera newbie I always appreciate more experienced input :-)
Old Nov 25, 2008, 12:04 PM   #7

It is a big camera. If you had said discussed size restrictions in any of your posts, I wouldn't have mentioned it.

the Hun

Old Nov 25, 2008, 5:50 PM   #8

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
It is a big camera. If you had said discussed size restrictions in any of your posts, I wouldn't have mentioned it.

the Hun

yah, my bad, but i'm glad you mentioned it, i'd like to check it it
Old Nov 27, 2008, 2:55 AM   #9

Hello Mysterious!

To my knowledge, the Panasonic FZ28 is the only one of your alternatives that allows you to shoot JPEG / RAW / JPEG+RAW. Now, I have no experience with RAW-files myself, but do know from browsing the Net, that pro's usually use RAW-files to archive the ultimate IQ.

The FZ28 also hasIntelligent Auto, face detection, AF tracking, and HD movie mode. I'm not sure if the SX10 and H50 have any of these possibilities.

I have these past weeksbeen in your position of choosing "the best" camera (for me and mystyle of use) myself, and have also had the same alternatives on my list. I ended up with the FZ28, because of the above mentioned and partly because it was the smallest/ lightest of the 3 and because I simply liked the "feel in my hands" of it best.

Good luck with your decision!

)

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 11:30 AM   #10

Mysterious wrote:
Quote:
what do all of you like the most?

I bought the SX10 about 6 weeks ago, I have had the S2 for three years. I've owned Canon's over the years.

Rich
Poncho_48 is offline   Reply With Quote