Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 24, 2008, 5:28 PM   #1

Ok... not sure even really where to start. I'm pretty amateur, and am looking for a camera to cover a fairly wide range of requirements:

This camera will generally be shared by my wife and I for now, and our budget I'd say is around 400-500, but if I can convince her that we need something a bit better that will fit our requirements and be "future proof" a bit, we can extend a bit more.

I'm going to try to list our requirements in order of importance here.

1. Having our first baby in May, and we have no camcorder or anything yet, a camera with HD video would be great, as well as the standard baby photos

2. I commute a lot, and have a lot of "Wish I had a Camera" moments for scenery, both during the day and at night either of our cityscapes or sunsets, etc...

3. It needs to be fairly wieldable since she's got pretty small hands

3.5 She does a lot of crafting, knitting, sewing, and just today discovered that she'd really like to be able to do Macro shots

4. We just bought a house, so will be doing lots of before/after pictures during construction, etc.. fairly normal stuff I'd think

5. Other random stuff you take photos of

The more reviews I read, the more confused I get as to just what I should look for.. I started off looking at the panny tz5(0), but then as I started reading more reviews, people started pointing a bit to the lx3. The more I searched for reviews on the lx3 I find more signs pointing to the Canon G10. But then I start reading about the G10 and it does the lower quality Video I'm not sure if that will be good enough, and to get that as a camera and something else for concentrating on videos, etc....

Suggestions?

Fiyawerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2008, 11:23 PM   #2

The G10 is a nice camera however expensive.

Another option to consider is the Panasonic DMC-FZ28.

The DMC-FZ28 is priced at $289 including free shipping at B&H Photo Video.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...specifications

The DMC-FZ28 has a 27-486mm zoom.

The DMC-FZ28 supports HD videos.

The DMC-FZ28 also has Macro mode.

No such thing as a "future proof" camera, in 4-5 years cameras will be much cheaper with much higher quality.

So the best way to future proof is not to spend too much money.

I'm sure you'd enjoy the FZ28 as much as the G10.

The FZ28 is half the price.

You'll still have plenty of room in your budget for a nice big media card and perhaps a tripod down the road.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2008, 1:23 AM   #3

I think you'd be really happy with the new Canon SX1 IS. http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08...1is_sx10is.asp

The S-series cameras are great. I've had an S2 for nearly 3 years now and it's given me some fantastic results. The SX1is bigger than your average point-and-shoot camera, you won't be able to put it in your jacket pocket, but it's much smaller than even an entry-level DSLR.

I bought an XSi in September, because I wanted to make the move to DSLR, but I'm certain my S2 will see a lot more action before it's retired. In fact, if I was to break my S2 tomorrow, I'd probably buy an SX1 to replace it. The S-series cameras are a managable size for events where you don't feel like lugging a big camera around. Plus, it's got both auto and manual settings, along with HD movie-making ability.
Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2008, 8:59 AM   #4

Boldstar,

I think you meant the SX10, which sells for $334.95 at BH Photo Video:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...specifications

Yes, very nice camera. Could be comparable or exceed the FZ28 spec.

Few reviews available on the SX10 - also $45 more expensive than the FZ28.

Definitely both worth checking out!
Old Nov 25, 2008, 10:05 AM   #5

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
Boldstar,

I think you meant the SX10, which sells for $334.95 at BH Photo Video:
I was under the impression that there were 2 new SX models... one with HD video and one without. I'll have to read that dpreview again.

Either way, I just wanted to toss in my 2 cents about the S-series cameras since I was very happy with my results. My S2 made a world of difference when compared to the quality of pictures I was getting with my old P&S A85.

Funny though, back when I bought my S2 in early 2006, it was nearly $600 CDN!
Old Nov 25, 2008, 10:16 AM   #6

A friend of mine bought the S5 at it provides really nice pictures and video quality.

The only drag about the S5 is that it doesn't have 28mm at the wide angle end.

Also, some of these superzooms, the photos are pretty dark and undefined at the long end of the zoom.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 10:25 AM   #7

Yes, I watched the S3 and S5 roll out in fairly quick succession after I bought my S2... both at much lower prices. It was maddening at the time, but such is always the case when buying a digital camera. I bought my XSi for only few hundred more than I paid for my S2!

Certainly the S-series zooms produce much better results outdoors with good lighting. And even then you have to be relatively still when squeezing the shutter button.

For reasonably close photography indoors, even in low light, my S2 does a great job with the built-in flash. And the swivel screen is an amazing feature, much more useful that I'd ever imagined.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 11:06 AM   #8

The gentleman above mentioned "future proofing" his purchase.

My first digicam purchase was a Fuji Finepix S602.

The Finpix was very much a precursor to the Canon "S" series.

I paid nearly $600 dollars for it in 2002 and sold it in 2006 for $125 (I also included a fairly large media card).

Then I bought the Canon 20D in 2006 for $1,400.

Now the Canon XSi is a much better camera in many ways for under $600.

So one can assume that if the past is anything like the future, the depreciation rate for a digicam is about 25 percent per year.

After four years, you can't get hardly anything for it (maybe the value of the lens only).

So the best way to "future proof" is to make sure you only buy as much as you really need.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 11:22 AM   #9

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
The gentleman above mentioned "future proofing" his purchase.

My first digicam purchase was a Fuji Finepix S602.

The Finpix was very much a precursor to the Canon "S" series.

I paid nearly $600 dollars for it in 2002 and sold it in 2006 for $125 (I also included a fairly large media card).

Then I bought the Canon 20D in 2006 for $1,400.

Now the Canon XSi is a much better camera in many ways for under $600.

So one can assume that if the past is anything like the future, the depreciation rate for a digicam is about 25 percent per year.

After four years, you can't get hardly anything for it (maybe the value of the lens only).

So the best way to "future proof" is to make sure you only buy as much as you really need.
Well, maybe I should clarify that a little. My wife is fairly familiar with my tech habits, especially when it comes to PC's, TV's, etc.. so to us, 3-4 years is definitely "future-proof" enough, as long as a year from now I don't come back to her and start with "Ok time to buy a new camera!" Unless I have a damn good reason.

After looking at the reviews, I think the fz28 will be what I go for, just shopping around now and looking to see if there were any BF deals on it coming up. Also will need to find a good memory card for it and I'm not even sure what to look for as far as that goes yet, and possibly an extra battery.

The SX1 someone had linked up above made me go "wow" this works, but then I saw the price tag and that it's not even available in the US? At nearly 3x the price of the fz28 I think I'll be happy with it. and as Terry said "make sure you only buy as much as you really need". I think this will be a great start, and in a year or two if I do decide I really like photography and want to get something better, won't feel such a pinch from the SO since this one was a lot cheaper.

I Appreciate all the responses!
Fiyawerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2008, 11:30 AM   #10

Good luck! Let me know how you go!