Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 25, 2008, 4:05 AM   #1

Hi there. I recently purchased an Olympus MJU (Stylus) 1060. It was my 2nd camera. Previously I had a Canon Powershot A75. I was happy with the canon, but it was getting old and we needed something up to date for our honeymoon.

The Olympus in my opinion takes terrible pictures, no matter what I do. I have read the manual cover to cover. The pictures are grainy, particularly in low light, but what is most annoying is the dullness of the pictures and how they are not as sharp as the old camera i had in daylight. Essentially I just want to be able to point and shoot, and just enjoy taking pictures than fiddling. Thats what i liked about the Canon, it just adjusted itself and the pictures were great.

I was unable to get a refund or exchange on the Olympus, they apparently not obliged to do so on poor choice as the camera is completely functional just not up to my standards apparently. I even went to the department of fair trading and they said there was no point pursuing it.

So I have wasted about $600 Australian on the total camera package, so I dont have as much money to spare. I am so overwhelmed by choice now, i think it would be best to limit it to Canon, as I at least have some experience with canon cameras.

These are the ones I'm looking at Canon A590IS, A1000/2000 and SX110IS. I've read the reviews on this website and others, and just cant make up my mind.

Any help would be appreciated
ebonyblackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2008, 6:24 PM   #2

I an not familiar with the Olympus, but that fact is not completelyrelevant.

Most complaints from users of any camera are typically the result of the USER.

Yep, I am blaming the OP.

Grainy pictures in low light is typically noise. How are you using the camera? Setting the camera for fast lens speeds is always going to result in high noise. Should you be using flash, or are you trying to overreach the distance of the flash?

Dullness, lack of sharpness? Camera settings. Boosts in color (or lack there off) will impact the"Jump off the screen and grab you by the neck" results that you get from cameras. Same with "sharpness".

What to do now? Post some pictures of what you like (from the old camera), what you are getting for results from the new camera, and the camera settings for each shot.

I could show you some pretty darn crappy pictures from any camera, conversely I could show you some pretty darn GOOD pictures from the same camera.

Let the forum experts for Olympus help you with the camera settings to maximize your camera for you. I think you will be pleasantly surprised what the camera is capable of doing for you.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 8:08 AM   #3

From what I can see, the Olympus 1060 is very similar to the 1020, to which Steve gave a very good review. http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_...tylus1020.html

Steve said this about the camera's picture quality:

Quote:
The quality from our outdoor image samples were excellent. The camera produced sharp, clear images with excellent exposures and the colors are rich and natural looking.
Quote:
Our indoor sample images were also pleasing.
So I'm really puzzled about the image quality issues you seem to be having.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:44 AM   #4

" Any help would be appreciated "

Help us help you - as Stevie suggested, post a few pics directly to this forum (with EXIF attached). Maybe someone can figure out what the problem is.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 11:42 PM   #5

I have tried fiddling round with the setting per various tips online, in the manual of the camera etc. It frustrates me because I am not a photography enthusiast by any means (no offense to anyone here) I just like to take snaps - so I dont want to have to change settings every time I pick the camera up. I just want to leave it on auto and let it do the work.

I know obviously i have to turn the flash on and off as appropriate, that i'm fine with. But the fact is I have the camera properly focussed on an object in full sun, and it still comes out blurry.

It doesnt really matter what I do, it's really a hit and miss affair. My old camera never left the auto mode unless i was doing a video. I would say the 85 - 95% of the photos taken on my canon were great, but i'm lucky to get 40 -50% with the new one. It is terrible inside even with the indoor mode selected you'll get maybe 1 pic good, but the rest are snowy or blurry.

I don't know how to do what you are saying ie putting pictures on here,and I dont know that you can help me because I'm nto the kind of person who is willing to change the settings on the camera every 5 minutes, I just want to point and shoot.

My question was about the replacement of this camera, as I have taken over 300 shots with this one over 6 weeks and they are not improving.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 11:42 PM   #6

Double post.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 1:22 AM   #7

You can attach photos to a post.

Like a link:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_...s/P6060038.JPG

Here is a picture from Steve's review.

I savedthe pic to my hard drive and am looking at it on aDell 2407WFP-HC calibrated monitor at 1920x1200 pixel size. First glance it looks pretty good. I can find fault with the picture. IF I were to look for faults. But for a snapshot from a point and shoot it is a pretty good picture.

I then resized the picture for webdisplay and used the browse button below this segment to add the picture to my post

Attached Images

Old Nov 27, 2008, 1:23 AM   #8

Give it a try. It is a lot easier to help when we can see what you see.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 4:14 AM   #9

Thanks for your offers of help everyone,but I went and purchased the Canon SX110IS from a reputable store with a refund/exchange policy. The people in store couldnt be more helpful, and ironically enough someone was returning an Olympus as Iwas leaving. I have learned an expensive lesson not to buy something so expensive online with a no return policy.

The SX110IS is fantastic, I have taken about 80 shots since I purchased, and it is just perfect - every pic, to my untrained eye. All different lights from daylight to pitchblack indoors, completely spot on in my opinion, just on the Auto mode.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 9:12 AM   #10

The SX110is seems like a really good camera. You ought to take the time to learn how to use its manual controls. You'll find them really useful for taking tough shots like action pictures (increase the shutter speed), indoor pictures (increase the aperture size) and others.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote