Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 25, 2008, 6:28 PM   #1

buying my girlfriend a camera for christmas and i'd like to know which of these would be the best .

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
tuan850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2008, 7:26 PM   #2

Radically different cameras.

As both are good it would be helpful to know a bit more information about her wants and needs to provideyou some good advice.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2008, 7:40 PM   #3

she's been talking about wanting to get into photography and what not , i have no idea what she wants to take pictures of lol . i just figure they are both relatively good cameras and i can get them around the same price
tuan850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2008, 11:59 PM   #4

Getting into photography means different things to different people.

The G9 (and the newer G10)have lots of manual controls andability to add an external flash which have made this camera's reputation as a"photographer'scamera" quite appropriate.

To me, the G9/G10 is THE camera to get for a photographer.

Wanna take pictures and have fun? The G10 will work. The SD990 will work better.

The SD990 is the grab and go type camera. Stick it into a pocket or purse, pull it out and have fun. It is fun and easy.

Yes the G9/G10 has those fun and easy modes. It also weighs figuritively a ton and has a purpose in life that exceeds the needs to fit into a pocket.

I want the G9/G10. Your G/F might be happier with the SD990. I bet the SD990 outsells the G9/G10 buy a large margin. Most of the public just want to have fun and are not interested in user control over simple control.

I would talk to the G/F to explore her interests and desires. Oh yuk, I am talking like a marriage counselor.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 4:13 PM   #5

StevieDgpt wrote:
Quote:
Getting into photography means different things to different people.

I would talk to the G/F to explore her interests and desires. Oh yuk, I am talking like a marriage counselor.
This is actually good advice - ask your G/F, or better yet, take her shopping so she can decide what she really wants. I would also suggest the SD880 (replaced the SD870), because it has a wider lens (28mm equiv).

I have the G9, and like it a lot. I do not expect to upgrade to a G10, because I like the zoom range of the G9 vs G10. I would be surprised if you can find a new G9 for less than a new G10. If so, be careful about who is selling it. It is definitely heavier and larger than any of the SDxxx series cameras. Make sure she wants that size/weight before you make a purchase.

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote