Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 26, 2008, 7:44 PM   #1

So I realize these are very different cameras, but I'm still not sure.

The different form factors are really not much of an issue. I would LIKE to have the extented zoom of the 570, but I'm worried about the overall image quality of the Olympus, as compared to the Canon model.

Is the G10's image quality worthy of sacrificing the zoom capabilities of the 570?

Also, some help in regard to both the overall ease-of-use and in the menu systems would be beneficial.

Thanks again. (=
flipdog3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2008, 8:24 PM   #2

flip,

It all depends on the type of photography you're most interested in. If you need a lot of zoom, forget about the G10...it tops out at 140mm. And I'm not so sure about the image quality, anyway. Seems to me, Canon tried to cram too many MP into a small sensor. I'm sure it'll take beautiful pics outside on a bright sunny day at ISO 80, but what happens when the light drops off and you have to crank up the ISO? Go here and plug in both cameras and compare identical subject matter at various ISO settings (compare still-life pics):

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

When you're done, plug in a super zoom with a large sensor - the Fuji S100fs.

Whaddya think?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 9:08 PM   #3

Steve and other reviewers have noted that the SP570UZ is pretty slow. Most ultrazooms are faster - especially the Panasonic FZ28 and the Sony H50.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 11:26 PM   #4

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
flip,

It all depends on the type of photography you're most interested in.┬* If you need a lot of zoom, forget about the G10...it tops out at 140mm.┬* And I'm not so sure about the image quality, anyway.┬* Seems to me, Canon tried to cram too many MP into a small sensor.┬* I'm sure it'll take beautiful pics outside on a bright sunny day at ISO 80, but what happens when┬* the light drops off and you have to crank up the ISO?┬* Go here and plug in both cameras and compare identical subject matter at various ISO settings (compare still-life pics):

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

When you're done, plug in a super zoom with a large sensor - the Fuji S100fs.

Whaddya think?

the Hun
That's just the kind of website I needed! It seems the ones I'm interested in are farily evenly matched, with slight egde to the Canon.

The S100FS is the best super zoom that I've read about so far. I was just worried that it was physically too large to comfortably carry around, and so I dismissed it in favor of the smaller Olympus. Have you held one? How large is it really?

Thanks for the link. ^-^
Old Nov 26, 2008, 11:34 PM   #5

AndyfromVA wrote:
Quote:
Steve and other reviewers have noted that the SP570UZ is pretty slow.┬* Most ultrazooms are faster - especially the Panasonic FZ28 and the Sony H50.
Mmhm. When I tried both, however, I didn't like how the controls were layed out and the overall feel of those cameras; for example, the Sony's horrible plastic ring thing to control manual settings. The manual zoom ring and feel of the Olympus attracted me, I guess.

Coming from a Kodak from the 90s, I'm sort of used to using a slow camera. :lol:
Old Nov 27, 2008, 11:08 AM   #6

Fuji S100fs

It's a big one...

Dimensions: 133.4(W)x93.6(H)x150.4(D) mm / 5.3(W)x3.7(H)x5.9(D) in. (excluding accessories and attachments)

Weight: Approx. 918g / 32.4oz. (excluding accessories, batteries and memory card)

...but it takes a big lens to fill a big sensor...

I have held one, and it has about the same dimensions as my current Fuji S6000. The S100 lens sticks out about 1" further than my S6000, and it weighs about 8oz more, due to having larger glass. I wouldn't have any trouble getting used to it.

The main thing is...how does the camera feel in your hands? I have big hands, and I can't stand trying to operate some of these tiny little things they call cameras. I need something I can latch on to and feel in my hands.

Try them all - try the various features - how does it focus? How does it zoom? Can you operate it with one hand? How quickly does the flash recycle? Can you focus quickly in macro?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 12:45 PM   #7

I have the FZ28 and like it. I don't have big hands and it feels fine to me. I had the Olympus SP-560. It was a good camera, but had a noticeably slower shot to shot time lag and a slower burst mode at full resolution. The zoom ring on the SP-570 is not very fast. The zoom rings on the S100fs and DSLR's are much faster. I like ultra-zooms, so I would pick the SP-570 from the 2 cameras you chose. If I had more money and didn't mind a fairly large camera, I would take the Fuji S100fs, which seems to the champion in this category in low light/hish ISO's.

One more thing that some people mind (I don't). The SP-570 uses xD cards. Though the new version M plus is somewhat cheaper and faster than the old M version,xD cards are still more expensive and slower than many good SD cards, which other cameras use.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2008, 1:44 PM   #8

So I tried the S100FS, and it's far too large a camera for me. I love the small size of the Olympus for it having one of the biggest zoom ranges; I can still fit it in, say, a bag without it being too cumbersome.

I sound so fickle. :O

Hmm, I think I've decided on the Olympus model. It's my favorite superzoom, and while the G10 sounds great, I see the extra zoom cababilities coming in handy on vacations and the like.

Thank you everyone for your input!